Secret Catholics

While I was wearing a Catholic university shirt at a festival a few weeks ago, I was approached by a fella who is part of a Seventh Day Adventist type of tradition who is interested in becoming Catholic. I was amazed at how much he has read about the Church and his knowledge about many of our beliefs. We have emailed back and forth several times and it seems that his “family” will shun him if he openly converts to the Faith. A priest friend mentioned a “Secret Catholic” network here in the USA, similiar to what exists in China.
Can anyone shed light on how I can hook this fella up with that group. Thx!

[quote=agrible]While I was wearing a Catholic university shirt at a festival a few weeks ago, I was approached by a fella who is part of a Seventh Day Adventist type of tradition who is interested in becoming Catholic. I was amazed at how much he has read about the Church and his knowledge about many of our beliefs. We have emailed back and forth several times and it seems that his “family” will shun him if he openly converts to the Faith. A priest friend mentioned a “Secret Catholic” network here in the USA, similiar to what exists in China.
[/quote]

Let me know when you find out! I have a Jewish friend who’s going to be a Catechumen for about a hundred years because of family issues . . . They don’t even know he’s a Catechumen

This is very, very sad

It seems to me that none of these people need a seperate “secret” Catholic society, they merely need to be discrete about their involvement in Catholicism until they are ready to take the heat for their love of Christ. Ultimately, we need to be willing to accept that Christ takes precidence over our families. It can take time to get to that point, so have patience and suggest they give themselves the right to take some time to reach this point.

Good luck and God Bless,

CARose

[quote=agrible]While I was wearing a Catholic university shirt at a festival a few weeks ago, I was approached by a fella who is part of a Seventh Day Adventist type of tradition who is interested in becoming Catholic. I was amazed at how much he has read about the Church and his knowledge about many of our beliefs. We have emailed back and forth several times and it seems that his “family” will shun him if he openly converts to the Faith. A priest friend mentioned a “Secret Catholic” network here in the USA, similiar to what exists in China.
[/quote]

I would put your friend/aquanitance in touch with The Coming Home Network International. I believe they have some former 7th Day members who can counsel your friend in their journey.

Link to:

chnetwork.org/

[quote=mercygate]Let me know when you find out! I have a Jewish friend who’s going to be a Catechumen for about a hundred years because of family issues . . . They don’t even know he’s a Catechumen
[/quote]

For searching Jews there is The Remnant of Israel and the Hebrew Catholic Association.

Link to:

hebrewcatholic.org/

[/quote]

agrible, a friend of mine is a former SDA. She now teaches an RCIA class and has a mother who is still an SDA. Her mother cried at her daughter’s first communion. Their blind hatred for the Church is pretty disturbing. Anyway, if you PM me, I can try and get her email address for you.

We have a number of secret catholics in India-mainly because they lose government benefits for themselves and their children if they convert-benefits are for employment etc. They live in risk of prosecution if they are found out. Its a strange double life, I often think it would be better if they take the risk and declare themselves converted and be done with it. All they lose is economic help-and chances of employment, but then these things are very importent when you are poor and struggling.

Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Mat 5:12 Be glad and rejoice for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. (Douay-Rheims Bible)

I understand how personal situations can make people wish to hide their faith and strive to fit, whether it is with their families or society, we all do it ftom time to time and it is unfortunate that this is so, but at the risk of sounding unsimpathetic, we have not kept the faith for two millenium by hiding in the shadows. The church grew termendously during the time of the martyrs due to the exemplary lives that they lived.

I also think of what the Virgin said to the children of Fatima about being willing to suffer for the salvation of souls. History has born this out, when we willingly suffer for the faith, not only does our faith grow but others who view the example that we offer are brought to faith in Christ and his Church as well.

Alex Jones (speaker on last years Catholic Answers cruise, candidate for diaconate ordination for the Archdiocese of Detroit in October 2005) was a pentecostal minister who converted to Catholicism and brought 54 of his congregation with him. To this day, he remains estranged from several of his family members because of his conversion. I hope these souls are fortified by the Holy Spirit and can be strong.

Here’s a link to a recording by Alex Jones, along with a thumbnail of his conversion:

catholiccompany.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=3064

Hi Gang:

Similar things happen to Jehovah’s Witnesses who wish to become Catholic. That is one of the reasons my wife and I started the Fellowship of Catholic Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses (www.catholicxjw.com)

Jeff Schwehm
President
Fellowship of Catholic Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses

[quote=Detroit Sue]Alex Jones (speaker on last years Catholic Answers cruise, candidate for diaconate ordination for the Archdiocese of Detroit in October 2005) was a pentecostal minister who converted to Catholicism and brought 54 of his congregation with him. To this day, he remains estranged from several of his family members because of his conversion. I hope these souls are fortified by the Holy Spirit and can be strong.

Here’s a link to a recording by Alex Jones, along with a thumbnail of his conversion:

catholiccompany.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=3064
[/quote]

I heard there is going to be a book about Alex Jones’ conversion story. Does anyone know about this or when it is coming out? Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.