Secret to greatness

We are all born to be great saints of God, destined to become the very likeness of Christ. This is our mission in life, the divine task given to each and every one. To become holy without blemish, to transform into a living temple of God who radiates the love of Christ–this is the inspiration and command given to each and every christian. This is not impossible. In fact, Christ gives us the secret of achieving that mission both through His holy teaching and through our personal struggles.
The secret of becoming holy is to become humble.
The humble is not uneasy with being chastised by the Lord. On the contrary, the humble welcomes and relishes the criticism of the Lord. They rejoice in seeing their own weaknesses exposed and the wisdom of the Lord illumined. Therefore, the humble never stops learning.

The humble is not afraid of humiliation. Nothing is beneath them. Therefore, they have what it takes to do the lowly, dirty, and cumbersome work of the Lord (take, for example, the courageous Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta). Nothing perturbs them because they are not threatened by what people think of them. Even if the whole world plus the devil accuse them of faults, they are not troubled because they agree that they are sinners not worthy of any good thing. They will be the first to say there is nothing good in them, to the great dismay of their accusers.

The humble has a keen ability to discern the will of God, because they are not concerned with their own welfare. The humble is only able to be humble because they adore the greatness of the Lord. After seeing how great the Lord is, they are lost in admiration. They no longer worry about their own fate, being driven only by what pleased their great Lord.

The humble is not afraid of failures and setbacks. They will have their eye on the mission given by God and let nothing stop them from achieving it, not persecution, not apparently daunting challenges, not scorn from others, not any harm or threats dealt to them. The humble is invincible, because they are not threatened.

The supreme example of humility, apart from that of our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, is our Lady, Mother of our dear Savior. Some might say, well how do you know she is humble? She is just like all of us. A statement like that immediately exposes our pride, for humility always believes that other people are better than ourselves, let alone the glorious woman who bore the savior of the world. We can confidently know Mary is supremely humble because of the fact that the Lord exalts her to the supreme role of being His own Mother. We know that the Lord detests the proud and that He only exalts the humble. We also know Mary is humble because she admitted it, when she sang her magnificat, praising God for coming down from heaven to dwell in her womb:

My soul magnifies the Lord.
And my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
Because he has regarded the humility of his handmaid,
for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

Because he who is mighty,
has done great things for me;
and holy is his name.
And his mercy is from generation unto generations,
to them that fear him.
He has showed might in his arm:
he has scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
He has put down the mighty from their seat,
and has exalted the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich he has sent away empty.

Mary is the supreme example of humility because she is glorious and hidden at the same time. Her life on earth is completely hidden from public view. Her virtues are only revealed to those who truly seek the Lord and who truly seeks virtues.

Let those who wish to be great learn humility.

Let those who wish to learn humility learn from our Lady, Mother of our dear Savior. Amen.

:thumbsup: that is awesome :) I wish I had more humility.

Dear Monica, I wish the same for myself.

Great post, Thanks.
Humility is often overlooked. A basic ingredient of humility is a desire to understand God's will and to follow it.
What I sometimes say about humility: "Humility to me means, that even though I know that I am right 99.9% of the time, the situation at hand may be one of the extremely rare occurrences where I could be partially incorrect." :D

Thank you for the wonderful post. I also liked other posts on your website. I hope to make some time to read them more. They are very helpful.

When things go out of our control and displease us, and sometimes it feels very right for us to be upset, the Lord is perhaps saying, be humble, let Me take control, don’t expect everything to be just right. This is hard for me. It is hard for me to let go of my sentiments when I know I am right.

[quote="MtnDwellar, post:4, topic:180606"]
Great post, Thanks.
Humility is often overlooked. A basic ingredient of humility is a desire to understand God's will and to follow it.
What I sometimes say about humility: "Humility to me means, that even though I know that I am right 99.9% of the time, the situation at hand may be one of the extremely rare occurrences where I could be partially incorrect." :D

[/quote]

That is a very noble thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.