Secular Franciscan Order Habit

First of all, I am becoming a priest in the diocese of Stockton. Right now I am in formation. Soon I will go to seminary. I know that priests can be professed into the third order of st. Francis or secular Franciscan order. So my question is this:

Can Secular Franciscans wear a brown habit SIMILAR to the order of Francis minor or the Capuchins? I love the habit of Francis and want to wear it, to be reminded of that simplicity. thanks for your help....I know the habit doesn't make me holy. It is the conversion in my heart from Christ our Lord that will help me strive for holiness.

[quote="ragingbull4891, post:1, topic:215065"]
First of all, I am becoming a priest in the diocese of Stockton. Right now I am in formation. Soon I will go to seminary. I know that priests can be professed into the third order of st. Francis or secular Franciscan order. So my question is this:

Can Secular Franciscans wear a brown habit SIMILAR to the order of Francis minor or the Capuchins? I love the habit of Francis and want to wear it, to be reminded of that simplicity. thanks for your help....I know the habit doesn't make me holy. It is the conversion in my heart from Christ our Lord that will help me strive for holiness.

[/quote]

Hi Father (to be). .

Short answer: no. The SFO did away with such habits with the new Rule (1974, I believe).
Apparently, the "habit" for awhile was a sort of giant Scapular (maybe 8x8), but I have never seen one.

Not being a smart alleck, but you can wear the habit by becoming a Franciscan ;)

There are no Franciscan churches in Stockton (St Mary's used to be one); there is (or was) an SFO group there.

God bless you!

PS I see from your profile that you are an admirer of St Benedict, too. There is an Oblate group in Stockton :)

[quote="ragingbull4891, post:1, topic:215065"]

[/quote]

No. Our habit is the Tau cross per our constitutions.

If you feel that you have a calling to be a Franciscan, then perhaps you should reach out to one of the first orders. You will study to be a brother first and, if given permission by your superiors, you can then study for the priesthood. You will be able to wear the habit (robes) in this scenario.

God's peace!

[quote="ausculta, post:3, topic:215065"]
No. Our habit is the Tau cross per our constitutions.

If you feel that you have a calling to be a Franciscan, then perhaps you should reach out to one of the first orders. You will study to be a brother first and, if given permission by your superiors, you can then study for the priesthood. You will be able to wear the habit (robes) in this scenario.

God's peace!

[/quote]

There is also the Third Order Regular Franciscans (TOR) which are priests.

franciscanstor.org/

I have had trouble to get in to an order because I am to old. But that didn't stop our Lord from calling us. Now if men over , 35, 45, 50 all cut off ages, become a third order and take vows then live in community and call it a semi cloister, (They my have to work and come back) can they wear a habit. they would live on there own money. We would do and act just as a real cloister, monastery, or abbey. ( for prayers) What do you think?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.