Secular Institutes not much info available

Hi,

I would love to consider joining a monastic order, but due to my age, 52 and the fact I owe a staggering amount of student loan debt [no personal debt] I don’t think I would be accepted.

For this reason, I am exploring secular institutes directly associated with the Catholic Church. I have gone to many websites including my own Archdiocese of Atlanta, and the information I find seems to be sketchy at best.

Is there anyone out there who is a member of a SI or has more knowledge about these orders? I cannot relocate to be near a group so for now, it will have to be something in the Metro Atlanta area, unless location is unimportant.

Thanks for your help and feedback!

You may want to try one of these:

Lay Dominicans in Atlanta

Secular Franciscan Order in Georgia

Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites in Atlanta

If you’re drawn to monastacism, then perhaps becoming an oblate would appeal to you. Oblates are attached to a particular monastery and follow the Rule of St. Benedict as much as possible within their lives.

The Monastery of the Holy Spirit is a Cistercian monastery in Georgia. (Cistercians follow the Rule of St. Benedict.) See trappist.net/

There are other monasteries in surrounding states if you are willing to drive further.

Thanks everyone!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.