Secular Institutes?

As some of you probably know, I've been discerning a vocation for quite a while. Originally I wanted to be a Franciscan order priest because I admire the values and virtues that come with poverty. But then again, I discovered these things called secular institutes. I admire them because they are in the world fighting injustice in society and other such things and originally I wanted to be a psychologist, but the thing is I'm not a very social person and I don't see what good I can do for a secular institute. I probably have more discerning to do but there are so many other options besides those two.

Is my wording here correct? Im very new to the options of vocations. Until recently, I wanted to be a Franciscan order priest.

[quote="Living_Stats, post:2, topic:287741"]
Is my wording here correct? Im very new to the options of vocations. Until recently, I wanted to be a Franciscan order priest.

[/quote]

If you enter a religious order, which the Franciscans are, you should feel called to the order. The priesthood is something extra. For Dominicans and Carmelites you may feel called to both the priesthood and the religious life as lived by these orders and there will be no problem as both are clerical orders. The Franciscans are not a clerical order so when you enter it you do not do so with the intent of being ordained. Your superior and formators will determine if you are called to be a priest within the order but you will always be first and foremost a friar.

Carmelites do not really have much distinction within the daily working of the order between the brothers and priests, we are all friars, but the priests do out number the brothers.

Brother JR can give more information on the Franciscans and I welcome any corrections in what I said here if it is wrong.

Thanks Byz Cath I just needed more information, I just keep finding all these other orders and societies and I keep feeling like one seems better than another as I keep searching. It is all very confusing.

[quote="Living_Stats, post:4, topic:287741"]
Thanks Byz Cath I just needed more information, I just keep finding all these other orders and societies and I keep feeling like one seems better than another as I keep searching. It is all very confusing.

[/quote]

If you do not have a spiritual director then you should get one.

Try contacting some of the communities that interest you.

Get more information. Set up a face to face meeting with the vocation directors of those that really interest you as you gather more information on them.

After a face to face meeting see if they have a "Come and See" retreat and visit them.

If they are close to you see if you can visit them out side of a retreat environment.

That's just some of the advice I wish I had when I started my discernment.

Yes I actually contacted the prior of the Canon Regulars of New Jerusalem who have a monastery in Wheeling, WV and thats kind of close to Columbus. Also, there is a Dominican-run church here in Columbus. Thank God for all those places at least. Would a spiritual director be a priest or youth minister at my parish?

[quote="Living_Stats, post:6, topic:287741"]
Yes I actually contacted the prior of the Canon Regulars of New Jerusalem who have a monastery in Wheeling, WV and thats kind of close to Columbus. Also, there is a Dominican-run church here in Columbus. Thank God for all those places at least. Would a spiritual director be a priest or youth minister at my parish?

[/quote]

Speak with your pastor about your vocation interests and ask for his help in finding a spiritual director.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.