Secular/Lay Order questions

I'm going to make this as brief as possible. If it's unclear, please ask for clarification. I am a recent convert. I have felt very connected to St. Paul of the Cross and St. Padre Pio (Padre Pio is my patron saint). However, the SFO is the active Secular/Lay Order here in Wichita.

I feel called to join...something...to increase my understanding, evangelizing, community, etc. Should I continue to explore the various orders or should I start the formation process with the SFO as that is the local order?

I just think that sounds like a trite or stupid way to "discern" anything this important. But I really want the community aspect of joining and if I would have to travel hours for something else, that doesn't seem smart.

Any comments are welcomed! thank you

The Passionists have a Confraternity: confraternityofthepassioninternational.org/

This is a very helpful site and highly recommended.

Since you are a recent convert, I would suggest waiting. Learn more about the different orders and their charisms. There's no rush.

Some secular order communities will not even accept recent converts -- my own community of Secular Discalced Carmelites is one. The reason is that you need time to settle in first, not that we don't want new converts.

The general rule is that a convert can ask after two years after confirmation and be at least 18 years old, however that would not prevent you from visiting and participating in activities (depending on the fraternity).

Peace

First of all, there is a difference between a confraternity and a secular order. A secular order is a real order. It has a formation program and a lifelong profession to live that way of life at the end of the formation program. Whether you become a secular Franciscan, Carmelite or Dominican, you must have a vocation to their way of life. It's not something that one joins to become a better Catholic. They only take good Catholics to begin with.

Second, most secular orders have the same requirement as religious orders do. Converts are encouraged to visit and even participate in their fraternal activities, but are not admitted as candidates until at least two-years after their entrance into the Church. The reason is simple. They want you to get to know the Church and the Catholic faith better, to settle in if you will.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

[quote="michelleds, post:1, topic:241854"]
I'm going to make this as brief as possible. If it's unclear, please ask for clarification. I am a recent convert. I have felt very connected to St. Paul of the Cross and St. Padre Pio (Padre Pio is my patron saint). However, the SFO is the active Secular/Lay Order here in Wichita.

I feel called to join...something...to increase my understanding, evangelizing, community, etc. Should I continue to explore the various orders or should I start the formation process with the SFO as that is the local order?

I just think that sounds like a trite or stupid way to "discern" anything this important. But I really want the community aspect of joining and if I would have to travel hours for something else, that doesn't seem smart.

Any comments are welcomed! thank you

[/quote]

Have you thought about consulting a spiritual director re your second paragraph above. I think it would be a good move.

Also, you could contact the SFO in Wichita and find out all about them - you don't need to actually make an application to join initially. You can share with them what you are looking for and have questions answered.

The New Advent entry on Third Orders is quite comprehensive. It may be a start but probably the best move would be to contact the SFO in Witchita.

newadvent.org/cathen/14637b.htm

TS

thank you all very much for your answers and input. It is appreciated. michelle

I too suggest looking to information about 3rd orders. This is long process and should be thought out carefully. I pray that you find what you are looking for.

You don't really join as a way of discerning. You enter formation as a way of discerning joining. It is only when you reach a certain point in your formation period - in the case of the SFO, Candidate, that you actually become a member of this particular Fraternity. Discernment is a long process that is a minimum of 2-4 years. We do not join anything - we become. I hope this helps to change your mindset about this. Feel free to contact the Fraternity and see what they say but also take the time to get used to being a Catholic first.

It is refreshing to read such enthusiasm from such converts...it is inspiring. God bless you in wherever He leads you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.