Secular Plague

Hello. I’m here to talk about secularist authors; having read a few books written by secularists myself, a common theme is one of “Humanity’s shared core.” Many are quick to attack anything to do with religion, or anybody’s interpretation of it. A good example would be Valerie Tarico; a woman who has essentially denounced every religious group, while putting an emphasis on Christians. Claims are also common about religion going against science, “Reproductive health” and burning books.

Many secularist authors also claim that religious groups work on specific tactics to make sure that outside ideas don’t get inside. I’m not sure how this could be interpreted. Though the aforementioned woman; Valerie Tarico is a psychologist. She also writes regularly for the Huffington Post.

Overall, this begs a number of questions. How are we, as Christians supposed to respond? It’s understandable to ignore them, but what about some form of campaign? Are we able, would it be right? Quite simply, I’m aggravated at how we seem to be lacking in defending our faith; on all fronts.

The simple fact is that Catholics are outnumbered. Because of this, I think the best option is the write to the author directly with your thoughts. A good person, even secular, will consider all points of view. For some authors it is hard to find contact information. I wouldn’t suggest posting comments on their stories. Catholics are usually outnumbered 10 to 1. Any comments you make are immediately filled with hate replies.

I think the best approach in these situations, particularly if you are responding to an online article or blog post, is to send a curteous reply that tackles the issues raised in the article and makes no mention of the author or a group the author belongs to. The reply should also have credible evidence that supports a contrary position and explains clearly and concisely why the belief is held.

Obviously, it is unlikely that anyone will change their minds on the issues, they will at least be disarmed and any hate-filled response will betray itself for what it is.

Unfortunately, I haven’t enough background on this topic to weigh in, but subscribing to learn more.

I think she is very correct regarding the above.
I can’t count how many times–in ongoing threads today, even–when I’ve read people tell others on this forum not to read the books you’ve just read because it will “cause them to lose their faith”…or how many times I’ve read OP’s asking if certain books are “permitted” to be read and which are “prohibited”…or asking if they are allowed to go to a non-Catholic church service one Sunday with a friend, and they are usually advised sternly not to go.

This, IMO, is a way to “make sure outside ideas don’t get inside”, just as the psychologist points out.
And it goes back to the early days of Christianity, when the holy books and gospels of different Christian groups, followed for centuries, were burned and banned after they were not included in the canon in the 4th Century.
That, too, was a way of getting rid of what suddenly considered “outside ideas”.

But what good is believing in something if the belief is based on isolation and indoctrination, instead of hearing other ideas and choosing consciously, rationally, and freely?

It has been, and in my view remains, a war of ideas. Generally speaking, I believe that the people who would resort to censorship do so because they know that their position is a weak one.
The United States is a distinctly secular society that is highly tolerant of religion by design. People here are free to worship as they see fit, but not to govern with the same freedom. That right must be won according to the laws. In some cases, a more religious person may be elected;in others quite the opposite.
When I hear cries of persecution in this country, it saddens me that some would believe it.

Nobody is ever gonna convert somebody who writes books bashing Christians. It’s a waste of time, and what Jesus meant by saying, “don’t cast you pearls before swine.”

Ignore the secular swine and hang out here instead.

Yes, as a country we are far from perfect, but I would still rather live here than nearly anywhere else. I think people throw the word persecution around an awful lot and that they usually have no idea what it really means. We are far from persecuted in the US. Someday it may very well happen, but as of right now we are not. It is my fear that people are throwing that word around so much that it is losing its meaning, and when persecution actually does occur, no one will listen. It is beginning to become like the boy who cried wolf. No one benefits from that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.