Sedar Dinner resources

Hello one and all!

I teach 7th grade CCD, and this year I would like to have a Sedar Dinner with my students. I've looked on the net, but I can't find any Catholic resources that would help me plan this. Do any of you know of such resources?

Thanks,
Mary

well that is not surprising since it is a Jewish celebration, not Catholic. First find out if such an endeavor is permitted or encouraged in your parish or diocese, as there are some strong feelings about it. A video about passover, especially one showing the links with the Last Supper might be more doable. In our former parish, in a neighborhood with a large Jewish population, our pastor discouraged a parish or CCD seder because it offended some of our neighbors, who evidently saw it as a “mock” reenactment of their own rituals. That is legitimate and should be respected, as should any attempt to “fake it”.

If it is permitted, decide how much of the prescribed ritual you will be doing–are you going to roast a lamb for instance? Wine? Look for books in the children’s section of the library that describe Passover, the preparation, the meal, the reasons for the elements of the meal, the prayers and so forth. You can often find this time of year in the ethnic section of your chain grocery store, or in a kosher market if you are lucky enough to be near one, little pamphlets that give the order and prayers in English on one side, Hebrew on the other.

it might be a more valuable learning experience to focus on the Passover story, and the elements of the meal and celebration that are significance, perhaps have a sample of the foods and discuss their meaning, some of the blessings, the place of Elijah etc.

I would not try to do to much discussion relating it to the Mass at this lesson, but develop that link in future lessons.

there is a CD out with songs in ancient languages Ancient Echoes? I think it is that has some of the blessings and songs.

If you get the OK, I definitely encourage you to do this. We do it in our parish, and I think it is great.

We use these plates:

chocolategelt.com/catalog/disposable-seder-plates-bl-pack-of-10-new-p-178.html

This might be helpful to you for details:

wf-f.org/Seder.html

This seems very "protestant". Why not do a study like "The Fourth Cup" from Scott Hahn?

actually, no, it seems very Jewish which is right and proper, for Jews. Fourth Cup would be good background reading for you but may not be the first study approach to take with your learners. But it is quite worthwhile to help them research how Passover was celebrated in Jesus’ time, and how it is celebrated now.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll have to find the book you mentioned. I've never read that before.

The desire to “reenact” a seder is a Protestant thing.

We’d not want a group of Jewish kids “reenacting” a Mass, would we?

If you want your kids to understand, read some books and watch films of real seder meals - or visit your local synagogue and talk the Rabbi about it. Respect our Jewish friends by not holding a DIY seder, it could be seen as a mockery.

Since I never agree with Kage, ever, (literally-I heard shes a cat person and I’m a dog guy-she likes the Cardinals, I like the Cubs…it goes on! :wink: )

I feel like we should celebrate this, because she is dead on.

Read a book or something about it. It’s really insulting to jewish people.

Nothing but love Kage! :smiley:

[quote="Rascalking, post:8, topic:188299"]
Since I never agree with Kage, ever, (literally-I heard shes a cat person and I'm a dog guy-she likes the Cardinals, I like the Cubs...it goes on! ;) )

I feel like we should celebrate this, because she is dead on.

Read a book or something about it. It's really insulting to jewish people.

Nothing but love Kage! :D

[/quote]

My buddy :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.