Seder meal really the last Supper and is it relevant to learn about?

St. Thomas Aquinas.

While one cannot be a judge of one’s own case, I’ll simply say that I’m not so naïve as to believe everything that secular history textbooks would tell us. The Inquisition and Crusades, as a few examples, are often criticized and denigrated by secularists, but for the Catholic, they can only be viewed as positive things in Church history.

I’m not sure you understood what I wrote. Because the Old Covenant was fulfilled by the New, the Seder meal, as a prefigurement of the Eucharist sacrifice, may no longer be celebrated. To do so would give the impression of rejecting Jesus Christ as the Messiah.

Jesus was Jewish, and indeed the Jews were Messianic people chosen by God, from whom the Messiah would come. Hence, the Israelites were set apart from everyone else. However, what many Catholics fail to realize is that because the Jews rejected Christ their Messiah, they have lost their position as God’s chosen ones, and this title has been passed on to the holy Catholic Church, the new Israel. (And likewise, it logically follows that for a Jewish person, the proper way to give due reverence to his heritage is to convert to Catholicism, the one true faith.)

In addition, the all-inclusive, euphemistic statement so popular these days (“we are all brothers and sisters!”) is fallacious and doctrinally incorrect. Only the baptized (through water, blood, or desire) are children of God, and our brothers and sisters, in communion with us.

Well all he was speaking about is that as Christians we no longer need to keep Jewish traditions as part of our faith.,

This is far fetch from telling the OP that a Catholic Parish having a Seder Meal is a sin.

Jim

He’s saying more than that.

If you are going to do this, I HIGHLY recommend that you invite Roy Schoeman, a Catholic author, radio host, & convert from Judaism.

https://www.salvationisfromthejews.com/abouttalks.html

He offers a “Passover Seder in the Light of Christ” which is very educational. My Parish hosted him last year.

God Bless

Yes, this is bad. This is when gentile Christians participate (knowingly or innocently) in Judaising.

However, to have a Hebrew Catholic come in to teach the about the Seder and re-enact SOME OF IT, as an academic exercise is not a sin.

Roy Schoeman (who is a Hebrew Catholic and attends an FSSP Parish) offers a great Seder program for Catholics who want to learn about our Jewish history

NOTE: I just re-read your post and I’m wondering if this is actually Roy Schoeman program?

If it is, it’s actually pretty good. He does recommend the dinner afterward, but that part is NOT religious. It’s just a way to tie in some fellowship together after wetting your pallet by tasting traditional Seder meal.

NOTE: He doesn’t not really do as “mock Seder” as you really don’t do the liturgy. It’s more of a walk though the Seder, similarly to a Catholic performing a walk through of the Mass.

Yes to this.

The Jewish Sedar Meal does not recognize Jeus as the Messiah. We are New Testament people, with new laws and new rites, that fullfulled the old laws and old rites. If by our actions we go back or attempt to go back and celebrate in the way people did before Christ, we are denying Him with our actions and denying His fullfillment of the law and His Sacrifice for our salvation.

Hit the nail square on the head right here.

Explanations of the Seder are fine, a little acting out and walkthrough is fine, and samples of Seder food are fine.

But it’s not terribly appropriate, or ecumenical, to hold a liturgy of another faith. And a Seder is definitely a liturgy, even though it’s a home liturgy.

Through various circumstances, I once ended up attending this “passion play” thing that was actually a Masonic version of the Last Supper, including Mass-like bits that weren’t directly from the Gospel. It was really really offensive to me as a Catholic (and probably to any Christian paying attention), because it was so much like a liturgy, while actually being all about Mason stuff. (Not to mention the obvious but unexplained callouts to secret Mason stuff, which was annoying.)

A lot of Jewish people feel similarly queasy about Christians holding seder meals, and I can see why.

Obviously we are within our rights to do this stuff, but the whole 1970’s thing of going to the parish center, sitting around separate little tables, and pretending to have a seder meal (but nobody ever shelled out for roast lamb, of course!) is just not a super-good idea.

In my experience, there’s also never a clear distinction between “stuff Jews did at the Seder in Jesus’ time and before” and “stuff Jews did after Christianity got popular.” Mrs. Goldstein down the street is not going to serve the same dishes that the Virgin Mary did, even if they stem from the same ideas.

As Fr. Phillip Wolfe points out in the following presentation, the current practice of 'Seder meal’s is a violation of the 1st Commandment.

What is important to know is that the Eucharist is the most important Sacrament of all. It is the perfect gift we received from God.

Also, God prefigured the Eucharist in many ways during the Old Testament times. One of them is seder meal.

With more research, one realizes that other important traditions from the ancient hebrews are also there, such as the symbolism of eating the Mannah, the food from God, during the desert wandering. There were rituals related to the Bread of the Presence that existed in the old Temple of Jerusalem, which also prefigures the Eucharist.

However, although it is important knowing these details, it isn’t necessary. Great Saints and mysticals of the Church knew the value of the Eucharist by only contemplating its misteries and greatness. After all, it is God Himself that is made present

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.