See?!?! It says so right in the Bible!

Hi there,

Take a good look:

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation (2 Peter 1:20)

Not trying to sound condemning or anything but this is the truth…you cannot interpret on your own![font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_sad.gif

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium] But then again, one may interpret THAT wrong![/font][/size][/font][font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_rolleyes.gif[/size][/font][font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_shock.gif

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium] YIKES! I sound like a Protestant…that is, a former Protestant defending the Catholic Faith![/font][/size][/font][font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_grin.gif[/size][/font]

[quote=Paris Blues]Hi there,

Take a good look:

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation (2 Peter 1:20)

Not trying to sound condemning or anything but this is the truth…you cannot interpret on your own![font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_sad.gif[/size]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium] But then again, one may interpret THAT wrong![/font][/font][font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_rolleyes.gif[/size][/font][font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_shock.gif[/size]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium] YIKES! I sound like a Protestant…that is, a former Protestant defending the Catholic Faith![/font][/font][font=Verdana, Sans Serif, Arial][size=2]unity.enya.com/images/smiles/smiles_grin.gif[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Yes, it is a simple concept. One cannot of their own volition know what scripture is saying with absolute certitude. This is why the Church was established so that it may bind and loose.

[quote=mosher]Yes, it is a simple concept. One cannot of their own volition know what scripture is saying with absolute certitude. This is why the Church was established so that it may bind and loose.
[/quote]

It’s so simple, some make it hard! Life is hard enough, why do we need to make it more hard![images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/sly.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[
](“javascript: void(0);”)

Paris, you HAVE to put the next verse with it…

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

What does “prophecy of the scripture” mean?
This verse would affirm the Protestant belief that the Holy Ghost…and not a singular church would be the guide when a person "prophecies"
BH

[quote=BrianH]Paris, you HAVE to put the next verse with it…

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

This verse would affirm the Protestant belief that the Holy Ghost…and not a singular church would be the guide when a person "prophecies"
BH
[/quote]

See, this is EXACTLY what I’m talking about…images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/hissyfit.gif

Not trying to sound rude BrianH but how do YOU KNOW 100% that’s the correct interpretation?images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/10_confused.gif

You don’t until you get the interpretation from the CC!!!

Paris,

Here is another part of scripture that supports your opening post:

Acts 8:26-35

7 Then the angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, "Get up and head south on the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza, the desert route."
So he got up and set out. Now there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of the Candace, 8 that is, the queen of the Ethiopians, in charge of her entire treasury, who had come to Jerusalem to worship,
and was returning home. Seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah.
The Spirit said to Philip, "Go and join up with that chariot."
9 Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31
He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him. 32
This was the scripture passage he was reading: "Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter, and as a lamb before its shearer is silent, so he opened not his mouth.
In (his) humiliation justice was denied him. Who will tell of his posterity? For his life is taken from the earth."
Then the eunuch said to Philip in reply, "I beg you, about whom is the prophet saying this? About himself, or about someone else?"
Then Philip opened his mouth and, beginning with this scripture passage, he proclaimed Jesus to him.

EXACTLY!!!:amen: That’s a great passage! Thanks!:blessyou:[

[quote=Paris Blues]EXACTLY!!!:amen: That’s a great passage! Thanks!:blessyou:[
[/quote]

You are welcome ! :thumbsup:

BH
[/quote]

Verse 20 is offering a particular teaching: no prophecy of Scripture can be interpreted privately. Verse 21 explains why: there is only one truth, and all the men who spoke the prophecies were doing so to convey this one truth. Take the statement: “I never said I like cheese.” This is my statement, and I have made it to convey on truth. That truth is that I did not at any time make the statement that I like cheese. This statement must be interpreted this way or it does not convey the truth that I wished it to.

Private interpretation would result in various interpretations. Some may take it to mean that I said I liked something else, just not cheese (I never said I like cheese.) Some may take it to mean that I didn’t say that I don’t like cheese, but someone else did (I never said I like cheese). Some may think I mean that I never said I myself like cheese, but I said someone else does (I never said I like cheese). However, these are all wrong. They are not the idea that I was conveying.

This is why there is no private interpretation: the only idea that a prophecy of Scripture conveys is what God intended it to. Private interpretation will result in many different interpretations, only one of which (if even one) is correct. The Protestant conention is that the Holy Spirit guides the interpretation to that which is correct. This idea fails upon examination. We know that there are thousands of Protestant denominations.

However, let’s not even pay attention to this and take only two: The Lutheran church and the Methodist church. Each church has millions of members. Of those millions, hundreds of thousands are very devoted believers who pray intensely to the Holy Spirit and try to yield themselves to Christ 24/7, and who study the Scriptures and .

However, let’s not pay any attention to this and take only two. We know there is at least one person in each denomination, right? These two persons clearly have come, through all of this prayer, devotion, and study, to two different interpretations. That is all we need to disprove the Protestant idea. God is not the author of chaos. The Holy Spirit cannot guide two truly open people to two different ideas. And there are thousands more denominations then we have even considered!

So there are two possibilities. Either the Protestant idea is wrong, or there is only one person in the entire world that is truly seeking God.

BH
[/quote]

Verse 21 doesn’t say that the Holy Spirit will guide people in interpreting scripture, rather it says that the prophecy came from the spirit.

Here’s a good Martin Luther quote:

“There are almost as many sects and beliefs as there are heads; this one will not admit Baptism; that one rejects the Sacrament of the altar; another places another world between the present one and the day of judgment; some teach that Jesus Christ is not God. There is not an individual, however clownish he may be, who does not claim to be inspired by the Holy Ghost, and who does not put forth as prophecies his ravings and dreams.”

Also Acts 15:22-29

Then the apostles and presbyters, in agreement with the whole church, decided to choose representatives and to send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. The ones chosen were Judas, who was called Barsabbas, and Silas, leaders among the brothers. This is the letter delivered by them: “The apostles and the presbyters, your brothers, to the brothers in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia of Gentile origin: greetings. Since we have heard that some of our number (who went out) without any mandate from us have upset you with their teachings and disturbed your peace of mind, we have with one accord decided to choose representatives and to send them to you along with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, who have dedicated their lives to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. So we are sending Judas and Silas who will also convey this same message by word of mouth:
It is the decision of the holy Spirit and of us not to place on you any burden beyond these necessities, namely, to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, from blood, from meats of strangled animals, and from unlawful marriage. If you keep free of these, you will be doing what is right. Farewell.’”

Please note a couple things there. First of all, the apostles and presbyters are the ones with authority. They replaced teachers who they had not assigned with representatives who were in line with them. Note that the false teachers were “among their number.” This means that they were baptized and had received the Holy Spirit, yet it is only the apostles and presbyters who are able to claim the authority of the Holy Spirit.

If what you say is true, then all the old testament prophecies pointing to Christ cannot be privately interpreted as referring to him as well( concerning his birth and death). Also we can state all the prophecies regarding Christ’s second coming are also useless, because as you sat, individuals cannot interpret these as meaning Christ will return a second time.We might as well tear out 1/3 of the entire prophecies of the bible, since we have no right to read these and interpret them as to the doings of our Lord. That leaves for a pretty thin bible.

Peter wasn't denying reading and understanding the prophecies that are written, but was denying prophecies that were not inspired of God. This is what he meant.

Someone told me that the Pope is interpreting it on his own. Now what?[images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/10_confused.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[

[quote=kyleforu]If what you say is true, then all the old testament prophecies pointing to Christ cannot be privately interpreted as referring to him as well( concerning his birth and death). Also we can state all the prophecies regarding Christ’s second coming are also useless, because as you sat, individuals cannot interpret these as meaning Christ will return a second time.We might as well tear out 1/3 of the entire prophecies of the bible, since we have no right to read these and interpret them as to the doings of our Lord. That leaves for a pretty thin bible.

Peter wasn't denying reading and understanding the prophecies that are written, but was denying prophecies that were not inspired of God. This is what he meant.

[/quote]

That is what the magisterium is for…the interpretation of scripture and sacred Tradition.

[quote=Paris Blues]Someone told me that the Pope is interpreting it on his own. Now what?[images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/10_confused.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[
[/quote]

Elaborate on this Paris.

[quote=St.Eric]Elaborate on this Paris.
[/quote]

I was telling about the “no private interpretation” and the person - who USED to be a Catholic but is not - said something like:

And I can use my former Catholic knowledge against Catholics. Isn’t the Pope privately interpreting?

Now what?images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/11_confused.gif

Tell him that the Pope is not privately interpreting. He, in addition to the congress of all the bishops as a whole, is guided by the Holy Spirit. Tell him that Christ promised this for His Church. This gets down to the issue of Papl infallibility. It is a different debate, but it is the one you have to have next.

One thing to point to is that Christ promised the 12 Apostles the guidance of the Holy Spirit. These were the only persons to whom He was speaking during this pasage of the Bible.

Paris,
It never ceases to amaze me…
Once again…what can I say? IF that is what you guys think…I…wow.
Be well. :slight_smile:
BH

[quote=BrianH]Paris,
BH
[/quote]

Well brother, the reality is, there stands One TRUE Church whether you want to believe it or not![images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/hyper.gif](“javascript: void(0);”)[

[quote=Paris Blues][font=Franklin Gothic Medium]Hi there,

Take a good look:

[/quote]

It might help to read sometimes before and after said quote.

**Peter 1:16 ** **For we have not by following artificial fables, made known to you the power, and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ;**but we were eyewitnesses of his greatness. 17 For he received from God the Father, honour and glory: this voice coming down to him from the excellent glory: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 18 And this voice we heard brought from heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount. 19 And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation.

20* “No prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation”… This shows plainly that the scriptures are not to be expounded by any one’s private judgment or private spirit, because every part of the holy scriptures were written by men inspired by the Holy Ghost, and declared as such by the Church; therefore they are not to be interpreted but by the Spirit of God, which he hath left, and promised to remain with his Church to guide her in all truth to the end of the world. Some may tell us, that many of our divines interpret the scriptures: they may do so, but they do it always with a submission to the judgment of the Church, and not otherwise. *
21 For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost

I draw your attention to this >>>** 19 And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, ** Source

[quote=BrianH]Paris,
BH
[/quote]

Brian - where do you get your interpretation from?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.