Seek God in the Ordinary

Hello,

I see all the time people running after the latest miracle or vision. They travel half way around the world at the drop of a hat to come into contact with the supernatural (note: I’m not against pilgrimages).

But, God comes to us in the ordinary. He comes to us in the Sacraments, which use ordinary matter to convey extraordinary grace. Baptism uses plain water; Confirmation, Holy Orders, and Anointing of the Sick all employ oil and laying on of hands; in the Eucharist, Jesus comes to us in His fullness under the guise of humble bread and wine. He speaks to us through the clergy.

We need to learn to seek God in the ordinary and not seek him everywhere else but our own parish.

I’m all for the ordinary, the ordinary everyday. I think that The Sacraments do come to us under very ordinary everday symbols (that are what they signify) speaks a library of books on spirituality.

newadvent.org/cathen/13295a.htm
Taking the word “sacrament” in its broadest sense, as the sign of something sacred and hidden (the Greek word is “mystery”),

[quote]

[quote]we can say that the whole world is a vast sacramental system, in that material things are unto men the signs of things spiritual and sacred, even of the Divinity.

[/quote]

“The heavens show forth the glory of God, and the firmament declareth the work of his hands” (Psalm 18:2). **The invisible things of him God], from the creation of the world, are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made; his eternal power also, and divinity" (Romans 1:20).

Too often we may look for the unusual seeking relief from the ordinary and everyday, the routine and mundane that peoples our days…we have not yet seen with the eyes of contemplation the realities that they actually are. The ordinary and everyday, the routine and mundane present probably what is the most common cross in human life and living at least for many of us…“take up your cross daily and come follow Me”…

Nothing is of necessity quite what it may seem as long as we are viewing through the eyes of ‘this world’…
[/quote]

Is your catholic faith important to you?
Should your potential mate share your faith & values?
Looking for fellowship with other catholic singles?

Thank you for bringing this up… I was born and raised in rural midwest…never lived more than a few miles from the town of my birth.The marvels of God are all around me…the land the sky and creatures of every sort.Miracles abound…

We do not have the finances to travel to exotic locals and even if we did…well there is no need…God is here!!

I wonder about the folks living in the big city surrounded by concrete and asphalt,barely able to see the sky,always hearing the buzz of traffic…Is it difficult to see God in the ordinary as the OP asks?Could this be why so many seek Our Lord elsewhere?

Let’s go beyond our parishes and out into the world as well. I see God in the perfection of a late summer peach, in the changing leaves of Autumn, in the faces of folks with whom I stand in line at the grocery store. It is in the ordinary where God is most extraordinary, IMO.

I wonder about the folks living in the big city surrounded by concrete and asphalt,barely able to see the sky,always hearing the buzz of traffic…Is it difficult to see God in the ordinary as the OP asks?Could this be why so many seek Our Lord elsewhere?

…God is in the big city too…“Lord that we may see”…

It is in the ordinary where God is most extraordinary

Quite a profound statement if one thinks about it!!!:thumbsup: (mind if I quote it now and then?)…

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.