Seeking a powerful prayer

I know that ALL prayer is powerful, however I am looking for a prayer specifically for those who have fallen into darkness and no longer feel the presence or power of our Lord and savior. Do you know of any prayers specifically for this intention? I would truly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

I just found this one, attributed to Guigo the Carthusian. I hope it helps:

Lord,
My soul is so dry that by itself it cannot pray;
Yet You can squeeze from it the juice of a thousand prayers.
My soul is so parched that by itself it cannot love;
Yet You can draw from it boundless love for You and for my neighbor.
My soul is so cold that by itself it has no joy;
Yet You can light the fire of heavenly joy within me.
My soul is so feeble that by itself it has no faith;
Yet by Your power my faith grows to a great height.
Thank You for prayer, for love, for joy, for faith;
Let me always be prayerful, loving, joyful, faithful.

(If you are praying for someone else, I suppose you could change the words to “__________'s soul,” and “Let (him/her) always be …”, etc.)

Go to a quiet place. While sitting in a comfortable position, close your eyes and place yourself in the presence of God. Then begin saying these words; “God come to my assistance. Lord make haste to help me.” Repeat the prayer slowly and with reverence, while focusing on the presence of God within. Only allow thoughts of being in the presence of God. If other thoughts come, return to the prayer and to God’s presence.

Jim

The Rosary is many people’s favorite one.

“Searching For God”

Saint Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109)

O Lord,my God,teach my heart this day where and how to see you,where and how to find you.You have made me and remade me,and you have bestowed on me all the good things I possess,and still I do not know you.I have not yet done that for which I was made.Teach me to seek you,for I cannot seek you unless you teach me,or find you unless you show yourself to me.Let me seek you in my desire;let me desire you in my seeking.Let me find you by loving you;let me love you when I find you.

Try the Jesus Prayer.

Maybe I know that one by a different name???How does that go???

Lord Jesus Christ son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Its from the Eastern monastics.

It can be said on a Rosary bead, or just repeated silently.

One way is to say the entire prayer, then just rest in the presence of God. When you become aware that your thoughts have wandered, repeat the prayer, but leave of the last part, i.e.

Jesus Christ son of God, have mercy on me.

Next time,

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy

Next time

Jesus Christ, Son of God.

then just

Jesus.

Jim

I can tell you how to pray powerfully as a prayer warrior for someone that has fallen in the darkness. Some of the most powerful praying can be accomplished with fasting and sacrafices. doing penance. Go to Mass as much as you can receive for that person. Also ask Mary to pray with you. and I like to ask St Jude for help with lost causes. Sacrafices like giving up a favorite food or hobby for a while. Offer up to God all you can. Scoob.

The Rosary

YES YES YES the Rosary…with the Fatima prayer included. I say that only because some prayer books/websites do not mention the Fatima Prayer.I wonder why??? But in the event that you find yourself in a “place” where that might be too much,that you just can’t get the words out,then I suggest starting out with something very short…like the Jesus Prayer mentioned earlier.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing.

And I wish to thank you for asking this question.Earlier when I read your post and suggested the “searching for God” prayer,I realized that I too need a boost in my prayer life.Had you not asked,then I never would have looked for and found such a beautiful little gem.Thank you for helping me in my journey closer to God.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.