Seeking Annulment, can't get birth certificate!

My mom has been married 2 times. 1st she was married in the Catholic Church & divorced 50yrs ago in Puerto Rico. 2nd to my Dad for 40yrs who is now deceased. She has met a Catholic gentleman & they wish to marry. Our Priest had her fill out all the paperwork & he submitted it to the archdiocese who in return forwarded it to Puerto Rico. The Archbishop in Puerto Rico told her that she needed to resend all paperwork in Spanish & he needs the ex-husbands birth certificate, 3 witnesses, 3 current photos of the ex-husband, Ex’s Baptism record, etc. She cannot legally obtain his birth certificate or his baptism record, she can’t obtain any pictures of him (he’s remarried & he’s Pentecostal), she has his sister’s old address which may or may not be valid, and at this point the only witness she can find is her 82yr old Aunt since everybody else is dead. Our Priest said that this marriage was a wreck from the beginning and he would annul it with no problem but it was sent to PR Archdiocese and he’s a bit troubled that the PR Archbishop is making it so difficult. This is a very unique case since it happened 50yrs ago. Her brother is a Deacon and said they can get married by JOP and he will bless it. But she really aches to have it annuled. Who can she plead her case to? Her Catholic gentleman friend will not get married except in the Church.

Your mother needs to contact the diocesan Judicial Vicar where she lives for help.

I can also suggest this organization: st-joseph-foundation.org/

The request that your mother provide a birth certificate, current pictures, and his baptismal records seems off to me.

It is unfortunate that your priest would make such a comment, which he has neither the authority or expertise to make.

No.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:241638"]
Your mother needs to contact the diocesan Judicial Vicar where she lives for help.

No.

[/quote]

Do you mean the same Archdiocese that forwarded it to Puerto Rico? Ask them for help?

Thanks

[quote="journey00, post:3, topic:241638"]
Do you mean the same Archdiocese that forwarded it to Puerto Rico? Ask them for help?

Thanks

[/quote]

Yes.

@1Ke: Thank you, we will try that.

I want to add that The Priest from our prior Archdiocese sits on the Tribunal board and said that this marriage was a wreck from the beginning and is invalid and he would annul it with no problem. I was furiously typing the first post and I did not come across correctly. Thank you.

[quote="journey00, post:1, topic:241638"]
. Her brother is a Deacon and said they can get married by JOP and he will bless it. But she really aches to have it annuled. Who can she plead her case to? Her Catholic gentleman friend will not get married except in the Church.

[/quote]

And please stay far away from that "Deacon". He has no business saying that. His blessing of a JoP marriage would be scandalous!

It is very wrong of him to mak such statements outside of the confidential tribunal proceedings and without full evidence. It is at a minimum a reckless statement, and it could be misconduct on the part of a tribunal member to go around making such statements.

You edited your post.

This person needs to be reported to the diocese for misconduct. This deacon can do no such thing.

Frankly, your story has a number of inconsistencies and irregularities. Perhaps you are getting information second hand. I suggest you work through the channels of your diocese. We cannot help you here.

Ok. Thank you all for the information, we really appreciate it. God bless.

And invalid.

[quote="journey00, post:1, topic:241638"]
My mom has been married 2 times. 1st she was married in the Catholic Church & divorced 50yrs ago in Puerto Rico. 2nd to my Dad for 40yrs who is now deceased. She has met a Catholic gentleman & they wish to marry. Our Priest had her fill out all the paperwork & he submitted it to the archdiocese who in return forwarded it to Puerto Rico. The Archbishop in Puerto Rico told her that she needed to resend all paperwork in Spanish & he needs the ex-husbands birth certificate, 3 witnesses, 3 current photos of the ex-husband, Ex's Baptism record, etc. She cannot legally obtain his birth certificate or his baptism record, she can't obtain any pictures of him (he's remarried & he's Pentecostal), she has his sister's old address which may or may not be valid, and at this point the only witness she can find is her 82yr old Aunt since everybody else is dead. Our Priest said that this marriage was a wreck from the beginning and he would annul it with no problem but it was sent to PR Archdiocese and he's a bit troubled that the PR Archbishop is making it so difficult. This is a very unique case since it happened 50yrs ago. Her brother is a Deacon and said they can get married by JOP and he will bless it. But she really aches to have it annuled. Who can she plead her case to? Her Catholic gentleman friend will not get married except in the Church.

[/quote]

Your saying she needs her 1st husband's information.Why does she hate to have it annulled?Anyway she certainly not get married without the annulment.Why would her Catholic Deacon brother want her to get married by JOP?Can you clarify?

I’m assuming you can’t obtain any of the information because your mom’s ex husband refuses?

Do you know anything about what town your mum got married in? What town her first husband grew up in? I speak from personal experience (living in Puerto Rico myself) that if you can contact the church they might be able to give you advise about how to proceed to get the information you need.

Also, fyi, in recent years the government here in Puerto Rico enacted a new law where everyone had to get new birth certificates. It was a real mess. If her ex husband was born in Puerto Rico, he needs to have gotten a new copy of his birth certificate in the last year or so or it won’t be considered valid. (there has been a lot of trouble with this in recent years)

Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.