Seeking Examples: Really Bad guys doing Really Good Things

Sometimes the Church is challenged by people who say, “Pope/Bishop/Father so-and-so was a scoundrel, so nothing he did can have any merit.”

This, of course, is a logical fallacy, but I’m seeking specific secular examples that show that scoundrels can do great things that benefit society.

Can anyone cite examples of people who, for all outward appearances, were scoundrels, but who made great contributions to our society?

[quote=DavidFilmer]Sometimes the Church is challenged by people who say, “Pope/Bishop/Father so-and-so was a scoundrel, so nothing he did can have any merit.”

This, of course, is a logical fallacy, but I’m seeking specific secular examples that show that scoundrels can do great things that benefit society.

Can anyone cite examples of people who, for all outward appearances, were scoundrels, but who made great contributions to our society?
[/quote]

Jared the SubWay guy?

How can that not apply to everyone? Someone once said something to the effect that there’s a little good in the worst of us and a little bad in the best of us. Following the critics’ line of reasoning, nothing Washington, Jefferson or Franklin could have been worthwhile because of their personal shortcomings in dealing with women.

Dear GeezerBob, I hope this is what you are looking for:

I was a merchant seaman when I was 16. Public image of merchant marines is hardened society rejects. My roommate was recently released from prision and said that if he were not at sea, he’d end up back in prison. In addition, there were others from a variety of backgrounds. In port they drank heavily, fought freely, and other things I’ll leave to imaginations. From these men, I learned thue friendship. I found myself deathly ill in Jordan. The captain said I was lying. A doctor recommended I return stateside for treatment. I was really afraid and honestly thought that I would die. The crew, hardly what most of us consider selfless men, stayed by my side every minute. They refused to do any work, even cook, unless the captain followed the doctors advise and sent me home for treatment. Thus these men, whom most consider selfish hethens, essentially risked the only life they knew for me. They mutinied, and chanced severe punishment as well as job loss! They taught me to think of others first and to due the right thing even if it cost my livelihood!

Love & joy in Christ,
Bob

Great example, trailblazer Bob!
You could also think about the saints who led horrible lives before God turned their lives around. St. Augustine was a bad guy before he shaped up. St. Paul was Saul the Christian-killer before God threw him off his horse. There’s been at least one abortionist who miraculously realized the evil of what he was doing and stopped murdering.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

How about Pope Julius II??? Julius had Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel, Raphael for additional paintings and Bramante to construct a new basilica in place of old St. Peter’s. Juslius was better known as a warrior Pope than his holiness I believe. Thanks and God Bless.

I have read that Hitler used to (literally) foam at the mouth over the air pollution created by the Nazi crematoria. Also, he was great to his dogs…(until he poisoned them).
Seriously, I think that most of the stories of this kind are urban myths. (Like, every serious criminal in American history is credited with paying off somebody’s mortgage with the money from a bank heist).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.