Seeking God

How does one seek and find god? I am a little confused because of this and i am scared it might be happening to me

Because I have called and you refused to listen,
have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,
because you have ignored all my counsel
and would have none of my reproof,
I also will laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when terror strikes you,
when terror strikes you like a storm
and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,
when distress and anguish come upon you.
Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer;
they will seek me diligently but will not find me. Proverbs 1:24-28

Calvin had a lot of mistaken opinions about God.

I found God from being an atheist by an open and honest love of the truth.

That proverb is referencing WISDOM, not God.

what is wisdom?

Read proverbs 1: 1-23.

so i dont find wisdom god will laugh at me?

Wisdom may be defined as the identity or correspondence of the truth with the use of right reason.

When we receive the truth in humility, and apply that truth in accord with doing the Good in accord with God’s will, that can properly be called “wisdom”.

Is that God or you saying that?

if i dont fear god then wisdom will laugh

Are you sure that by “fear” you’re interpreting what the writer meant by “fear of the Lord”?

By following God and not men. Follow God. Seek the truth and follow it where it leads you. Don’t let yourself get in the way.

Sincerely seek and the Holy Spirit will guide you.

It might help you to narrow it down. Christ promised his church would not fail. So look at churches that existed in the time of Christ/Apostles.

Keep praying for the love of God and the light of faith. Seek and you shall find (note, that doesn’t mean you will find immediately.) :slight_smile:

How do we come to Jesus? Where do we go? To Jerusalem? To Galilee?

To which church should we go?
Where do we find him?
Where does God live? Where does Jesus dwell?

He once said:
I was hungry and you gave me food,
I was thirsty and you gave me drink,
I was a stranger and you welcomed me
I was naked and you clothed me
I was sick and you visited me
‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my people, you did it to me.’

So he seems to be saying that He lives in each of us though sometimes we scarcely realize it.

“Come to me, drawn by the Father who loves you and we will come to you and make our home with you.”

He will do all that for us but what do we have to do to “come to” him?

What is that easy yoke and light burden?

Feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, visit the sick, be gentle, Hunger for justice, be merciful, have a pure heart, make peace, let your light shine, give to those who ask, pray for your enemies, forgive others, do not worry about tomorrow. “Love one another as I have love you”, he says. Yes, even our enemies.

That is the way to Jesus, the work that glorifies the Father
Much of that is the external expression of the new love in the heart when God moves in.

The burden is light because our heart becomes light.
And as long as we live, we are on that transforming journey
because it is an ongoing process of us coming to him
and him coming to us and changing us and our behavior and our hearts.

Michael Mayo, the list you provide is a good start–these things can lead to grace which helps one answer the questionsyou pose like “to which church should I go?”. But answering that questions will actually help you to live the lists you provided in an even more profound way! :slight_smile:

Jesus said feed the hungry, but He also said man does not live by bread alone, but on every word from God. Therefore, not just physical food is necessary, but we must also seek and share the fullness of God’s revealed truth, which His Church hands on and spreads. Likewise, He said those that eat His flesh and drink His blood will never hunger or thirst. As such, gathering those into the unity of faith and charity, His Church, so they may partake of His Body and Blood without “eating and drinking judgment” on themselves is as important as providing physical food and water. The sick and imprisoned are also those who are weighed down and imprisoned by sin. The naked are those who have not girded their loins with truth or put on the breastplate of righteousness or the helmet salvation. They are like those without shelter when the floods come. All those must be gathered safely into the house of the Lord, His Church, which is built on the rock. These are as important as their physical counterparts and even more lasting.

Please look more deeply and openly at this passage…

If the people continue in their ways of ignoring God, ignoring wisdom, acting foolishly, then when calamity comes, they will have no store of grace, no store of good will with God. The writer uses “laughing” and other terms to bring this home…
The writer could have just as easily said, "hey if you keep ignoring God’s warnings and acting stupidly, when things go wrong God is just going just say - “I told you so”.

Get the idea? It using words that people can understand to convey a deeper meaning…

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.