Seeking help from a Guardian Angel

I am not Catholic, but would like hear from others that pray to or seek help from their Guardian Angel.

The last couple of years have been a rough and lonely time for me. I am going through seperation and soon to be divorce. I have never prayed for help from an angel but have read several stories of people that have. Many of them were Catholic. So, that is why I am here.

Thank you and God’s blessings

Avoid this concept, you lack discernment even if you could filter out all of them, good or bad, to your specific angel. I highly suggest praying to God, Jesus, Mary, or one of the Saints instead.

blackirish, Your Guardian Angel was appointed to you by God from the moment of your conception and your angel is always looking after you.

I pray the Chaplet of St. Michael every morning; I started this practice after learning that Mother Angelica and her Nuns also pray daily to St. Michael.

I see nothing wrong with you asking your Guardian Angel for help. Following is a prayer I say each morning to my Guardian Angel.

Consecration to the Holy Guardian Angel

You continually behold the face of our Father in heaven (Mt 18:10). God entrusted me to you from the very beginning of my life. I thank you with all my heart for your loving care. I commit myself to you and promise you my love and fidelity.

I beg you, protect me against my own weakness and against the attacks of the wicked spirits; enlighten my mind and my heart so that I may always know and accomplish the Will of God; and lead me to union with God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.:angel1:

Do not be afraid to ask for help. I will also remember you in my daily prayers.

:hug3::blessyou:

Guardian Angel Prayer:

Angel of God,
my guardian dear,
To whom God’s love
commits me here,
Ever this day,
be at my side,
To light and guard,
Rule and guide.
Amen.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

– Cadian :knight1:

Cadian,

Another of my favorite prayers to my Guardian Angel and I say it throughout the day. It is a beautiful prayer.

:getholy::amen:

I’m just curious but do the unbaptized have a guardian angel? :shrug::confused:

I do not know, but I think everyone ask help from Guardian Angel deeply from soul, they always will listen and help us! :angel1:

Oh, Holly, I love the link site : Come , pray the Rosary !
May God bless you

I believe that every human being is assigned a Guardian Angel at conception and that angel cares for us and protects us during our life and after.

I don’t remember which Saint (St. Gertrude or St. Catherine of Siena) said that our Guardian Angel accompanies us to Purgatory to comfort us. Of course, it should be understood that if we go to Hell, we go alone.

:angel1::amen:

I dont think there’s anything wrong with praying to your Guardian Angel… it’s just like praying to the Saints.

Maybe what you’re referring to is seeking signs or visions of your Angel… and that WOULD be wrong… and dangerous… but just asking an Angel for prayers is totally fine and in fact encouraged by the Church :slight_smile: just make the sign of the Cross beforehand and pray in the name of the ‘Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit’ as usual…

God bless

I pray to my Guardian Angel :slight_smile: he does not communicate his presence to me, which is alright, because we shouldn’t seek these types of graces - more humble this way… but I’ve read MANY awesome Angel stories about the Saints :slight_smile: I definitely believe in them… and I know my Angel has helped me so many times. FOr example, sometimes I ask for protection or help or if I need the right words to say to someone… and I know God sends the Angel to help me. I also believe they pray for us to God. They’re really good friends to us and are also very powerful. God is very good to give us each an Angel to be with us always, that’s a great gift and sadly often we forget. I believe our Angels are very pleased when we remember them and talk to them, cause they’re right there with us, and see everything we do, and no doubt rescue us from many dangers that we’re unaware of. Also, the more we ask for help, the more they will help…

God bless

Here are some prayers to Guardian Angels :slight_smile:
2heartsnetwork.org/guardian.htm

and - interestingly, the feast day of the Guardian Angels is tomorrow, Oct. 2! :smiley:

4everhis,

Ask the OP what he really means behind the request, this concept can easily be misconstrued into fooling people towards demonology believe it or not.

If I recall correctly, people are assigned Guardian Angels at the moment of baptism. However, if you pray to God to send you angels to help you, guide you and guard you, I feel sure He’d answer the prayer.

I’ve had some lovely experiences with my Guardian Angel. I’ve seen him three times, once in a dream, once in the sky as I was walking home from church, and once in my room at night, when I woke up from a sound sleep and saw him pacing (I think he got into the habit because he’d guarding me all the time and I always pace). He saw I was awake and came over and stood by me till I went back to sleep.

He gives me messages of courage too, at times, and strengthens me to endure times of suffering. He also gives me words in my head, telling me right from wrong in times of temptation, so that I know what is right and stand firm with Christ rather than giving in to doing, thinking or speaking wicked things. I pray to him a good deal.

That is a beautiful post. I, too, believe that our Guardian Angels encourage and guide us especially in those moments that come quickly and we struggle to know what is the right course to take. Of course, only a soul close to our Lord and eagerly receptive to his leading can be guided in such a way unless He deems to bestow a certain grace for the sake of His glory.

Every day I pray to my Guardian Angel when I get into my car. I certainly feel his presence and know that he’s protected me from getting into car accidents. Pray and trust in your Guardian Angel. =)

Your angel is your friend and your guardian, you who are a brother of Christ and an adopted son of God, so ask for his help like this: “Protect me from this or that”, “Pray for me to Jesus”, “Guide me here or there”, “I’m going to meet this man and I want you to meet his angel before me”, “Help me to love God more”, “Let us adore the Lord our God.”

Lief, I believe that every human being has a Guardian Angel. If we were assigned a Guardian Angel at Baptism that would exclude a large portion of the world’s population and I don’t think that God would exclude anyone.

As a child I was told that everyone had a Guardian Angel and I prefer to believe that – Jews, Muslims, Agnostics, etc. – everyone :yyeess:

:angel1: And today (October 2) is their Feast Day!!!

:amen:

Now you’ve got me curious! Goes and researches.

Here’s from Catholiceducation.org on the matter:

Early Church fathers differed in opinion about when a guardian angel is actually assigned — at birth or at baptism. Origen shows scriptural basis for both opinions. [10] While the Church leaves this question open, most of the Fathers held that all men, baptized or not, have a guardian angel. However, those who have the “indelible mark” of baptism and a new life in Christ require more attention, guidance and protection to ensure that they will reach heaven.

catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0293.html

Thank you Lief, that was a very interesting post. I have never seen anything on the topic written down before. As a child (a looong time ago) I was taught everyone had an angel. I am happy to know that even the Church Fathers were conflicted on the topic. I am going to continue to believe we all have a Guardian Angel.

I will agree, though, that we Baptised lot do need more guidance and looking after. I know I do.:yup:

:harp:

:slight_smile: Yes, there is clearly room for both opinions. I personally have no idea which is right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.