Seeking Hymns to Guardian Angels

Hello Everyone:

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a hymn or chant to our guardian angels?

I like to pray by listening to music, and I dont really know of too many prayers to our guardian angels - let alone a hymn. They are mentioned a lot in song, but a specific hymn would be even better.

Need an answer quickly too. I was hoping to do a novena to our guardian angels to complete on the feast day (Oct 2nd), but I'd already be a day behind!

Thanks and Blessings!

wm

I love the Feast Day of our Guardian Angels. I can’t really recall any specific Catholic musical song.

The only fondly remembered Hymn for the name sake (“Guardian Angels”) song sung by the late Catholic singer Mario Lanza.
youtube.com/watch?v=U025d5CtLWU

Guardian angels around my bed Joining me in my prayers They hush the shadows when they dance about They shoo away the bears
Guardian angels to comfort me If I wake in the night They gather all my dreams Their halos are my light
They dry my tears If I should weep They tuck me in; They rouse me from my sleep
Guardian angels around my bed Standing by till I rise There’s one with shining wings that holds my hand And shows me paradise

Here is a liturgical hymn....feast of Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael

oremus.org/hymnal/t/t502.html

The angels won't mind if you end your novena a day later. :)

[quote="William777, post:1, topic:299720"]
Hello Everyone:

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a hymn or chant to our guardian angels?

I like to pray by listening to music, and I dont really know of too many prayers to our guardian angels - let alone a hymn. They are mentioned a lot in song, but a specific hymn would be even better.

Need an answer quickly too. I was hoping to do a novena to our guardian angels to complete on the feast day (Oct 2nd), but I'd already be a day behind!

Thanks and Blessings!

wm

[/quote]

Greek Style, Hymns The Archangels: youtube.com/watch?v=viX1RXYaZj8

This is one of my all-time favourites . It was written by Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman to his own Guardian Angel. I guess we could call it a poem, until we give it a melody and set it to music - but it is surely a prayer too , which came straight from his heart :

(From pgs 34 & 35 of ST MICHAEL AND THE ANGELS, Tan Books and Publishers, © 1983) :

Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman's Poem to His Guardian Angel

My oldest friend, mine from the hour
When first I drew my breath;
My faithful friend, that shall be mine,
Unfailing till my death.

Thou hast been ever at my side;
My Maker to thy trust
Consigned my soul, what time he framed
The infant child of dust.

Thou wast my sponsor at the font;
And thou, each budding year,
Didst whisper elements of truth
Into my childish ear.

And thou wilt linger round my bed,
When life is ebbing low,
Of doubt, impatience and of gloom,
The jealous sleepless foe.

Mine when I stand before the Judge;
And mine, if spared to stay
Within the golden furnace till
My sin is burned away.

And mine, O brother of my soul,
When my release shall come;
Thy gentle arms shall lift me then,
Thy wings shall waft me home.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.