Seeking Knowledge of Order of Saint Benedict

Hello, My name is Lisa,

I am not too sure if i am in the right place, but here is goes...:confused:

I am currently doing research on the OSB and was hoping that I could talk to someone who is familiar with this particular religious order. I am interesting in the order around the period of 1780 to 1830.

A few questions I have are: :confused:
Living under and abbot, would the Monks (if that is what they are called) be addressed as 'brother?'
On a casual day, would the Monks were the same attire as the Abbot?

I have a lot of other questions like this, like any one who could help would be really, appreciated.

The Order of Saint Benedict did not exist until 1883, formed by Pope Leo XIII in order to unify the various orders living under the rule of Saint Benedict. Knowing that may help you find the answers you seek.:thumbsup:

[quote="LisaRach, post:1, topic:310607"]
Hello, My name is Lisa,

I am not too sure if i am in the right place, but here is goes...:confused:

I am currently doing research on the OSB and was hoping that I could talk to someone who is familiar with this particular religious order. I am interesting in the order around the period of 1780 to 1830.

A few questions I have are: :confused:
Living under and abbot, would the Monks (if that is what they are called) be addressed as 'brother?'
On a casual day, would the Monks were the same attire as the Abbot?

I have a lot of other questions like this, like any one who could help would be really, appreciated.

[/quote]

As the other poster said, the congregations are unified as a confederation, and each congregation has its own additions to the basic Benedictine habit.

I would advise knowing which congregation you're dealing with, then seeking help from the archivist of one of their houses.

HTH

Blessings,
Cloisters

Wow, I had no idea that the OSB didn't exist as such until 1883.:eek:

What were they called prior to this, please?

They were a bunch of groups, all of which followed the Rule of St. Benedict. The OSB was a means to unify them.

This might help you a little more:
stlouisabbey.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=108

[quote="Lamentation, post:5, topic:310607"]
They were a bunch of groups, all of which followed the Rule of St. Benedict. The OSB was a means to unify them.

This might help you a little more:
stlouisabbey.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=108

[/quote]

Thanks so very much!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.