Seeking the True Church

• If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hates. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along in the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world, as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church which is accused of being behind the times, as Our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never had learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because he came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims to be infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He called himself Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid the confusion of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of it’s Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly, it is other-worldly. Since it is other-worldly it is definitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine.
                                                                           Ven. Msgr Fulton Sheen

:thumbsup:

I hope I see Bishop Sheen canonized in my lifetime. He was a one of a kind.

Yes! I remember seeing him on tv in “Life is Worth Living”. (Did I get the title right?)

I think so. It was before my time but my mom told me about it, as she had books by him around the house and I would ask her who is that. Now you can watch videos of it on Youtube or buy them on CD. I have a much younger Catholic friend who enjoys his videos a lot.

When a library opened where I lived when I was fifteen, I started reading Fulton J. Sheen books. Easy to understand, and very inspiring! Also very relevant for today.

Yes. The CC is The only one still saying divorce and remarriage is adultery. Contraception is sin. Sunday is still an obligatory day to worship. And there’s no such thing as eternal security…

Well done!

Thanks and continued Blessings

Patrick

Generally speaking this is why I became a Latter Day Saints and fully recognize a lot folks here on the forums here hate my church.

For me, the true church was found almost 30 years ago.

No cradle or convert Catholic will convince me to return to Catholic, since they claim that the Roman Catholic Church is the true church.

Kind regards.

Wouldn’t Jesus rather have been considered progressive in that day and age. That part makes zero sense!

He did say, “He who is not with Me is against Me.”

Not really my point.

I am referring to where he compares the CC of being behind the times to Jesus while Jesus defended not washing hands, having “dirty women” touch Him and basically saying eating pork is okay. That is not “behind the times” at all.

Some protestant churches, mainly independent fundamental Baptists, oppose divorce and remarriage. John Piper has publicly stated he opposes it. But I think at least some of these churches would accept a convert in a second marriage without requiring him to leave his second wife, unlike the Catholic Church.

I don’t think Archbishop Fulton Sheen would make this argument today, considering how the Catholic Church gets criticised for different reasons today.

Right. One of my favorite pastors I liked reading/listening to was Francis Chan and he too says that a man/women divorcing his/her spouse without “Biblical” reason should be excommunicated. But the vast majority of Protestantism doesn’t see it that way. Heck even the Orthodox allows divorce and remarriage.

I was in a “second marriage” when I converted, so I totally understand the pain…but I also understand that to follow Christ is hard and goes against everything the world says is ok. True repentance and a desire to follow Christ demands a response the world says is silly.

See Proverbs 6:29-35. It likens adultery to a thief…but a thief that cannot easily repay for his crime. In fact verse 32 says, "But he that is an adulterer, for the folly of his heart shall destroy his own soul. The commentary of these verses in the Douay-Rheims is very enlightening.

A changed heart will have a desire to make restitution and that may mean going back to your rightful spouse (if possible) or living a chaste life which indicates to God, to your former spouse (and kids?) and to society a truly changed heart.

The Catholic Church knows what is best for our souls and for society…She’s been at it for nearly 2000 years.

Hello

According to Webster adultery is: voluntary sexual intercourse between a married man and someone other than his wife or between a married woman and someone other than her husband; also :* an act of adultery.  When Moses received the commandments, one of which concerned adultery, is there any reason to believe, (other than the church says so) that adultery meant something different than how it is defined by Webster?

LOVE Bishop Sheen. Wish he was still around…we could use some spiritually strong leaders in today’s world.

I disagree. I think he would stand by this statement even more so. After reading about the canonization of the Fatima children this past May and Pope Francis’ rather bizarre choices for an altar, crucifix, monstrance and so on, it makes me realize the CC is under SO MUCH attack from Satan. Makes you wonder if the true CC won’t go underground…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.