Seeking Therapy

Not sure where to post this so here goes:

Is it wrong to seek some type of therapy/counseling after experiencing and surviving a traumatic event such as a hit and run auto accident which included myself and my children? Not sure if this is something that a priest can help me with (not to diminish his abilities). I did express my emotions with my priest and he was concerned with my experience but not really how to heal or deal with them with the exception of time will heal and praying about it. Again, not to diminish the power and possibility of any of that. I think I need something additional that he may not have the time or experience in dealing with. I’m having difficulty eating, sleeping, and coping and fearful. This is not a norm for me. I feel as if my bubble or space has been invaded. Since my children were involved in this event as well I feel even worse and keep replaying everything in my head. Can you recommend where I can go with this?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is most certainly NOT wrong to seek counseling in dealing with trauma. Some priests are great at this sort of thing, others are not. But it is not generally their primary responsibility (they have so much to do!). Therapists are a great resource. Finding a good Christian counselor may be the best thing you can do for yourself and your family, as it sounds like you are suffering from depression.

catholictherapists.com has a listing of Catholic therapists in each state. I’m sure there are other such resources, and that others here will be able to direct you to them.

I pray you are able to find healing.

You’re a blessing. Thank you.
I will check the website.
God Bless.

Go here:

natboard.com/index_files/Page548.htm

and look for a practitioner who uses Eye Movement Integration (EMI) which is extremely helpful in treating Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.