Seen too many movies?

I think I have or the quality is really bad right now. The last two movie I went to see were Jane Eyre and Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 2. I don’t see anything work spending the money on. We need new material and story lines I think. :cool:

They seem increasingly socially irrelevant to me.

Most of the movies I have seen this past year don´t get me past the first 15 minutes. I am so tired of the same old cliches and storylines.

Are you 12 years old?
You got to the wrong theater !!!

Well, I've written several screenplays with highly original plots, but the producers aren't interested. I think they want to stick with the tried and true, rather than risking something new that might bomb and bring in no money.

There are some Christian film companies that are doing some nice work, but they aren't big-budget films by any means.

Have you considered going to the film festivals that are within driving range? These usually have all kinds of original films. No guarantee that they will be any good, but they will be different! There are so many film festivals that hopefully there is one near you.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:1, topic:255971"]
I think I have or the quality is really bad right now. The last two movie I went to see were Jane Eyre and Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 2. I don't see anything work spending the money on. We need new material and story lines I think. :cool:

[/quote]

Wow. I couldn't disagree more. There are more good movies currently in theaters than I have time to see. There's the G-rated golf flick "Seven Days In Utopia" (w/ Robert Duvall and Lucas Black, who also co-starred together in "Get Low," another clean, decent film nobody saw.) There's the Israeli Mossad espionage flick "The Debt" - there's "Sarah's Key," there's "Another Earth," one of the best sci-fi movies in a long time. There's "Contagion," a throwback to the star-studded disaster flicks of the 1970's. There's also "The Help," which will likely get Best Picture Oscar nomination. There is new material - problem is, the quality movies generally tank because nobody goes to see them.

[quote="havana1, post:6, topic:255971"]
Wow. I couldn't disagree more. There are more good movies currently in theaters than I have time to see. There's the G-rated golf flick "Seven Days In Utopia" (w/ Robert Duvall and Lucas Black, who also co-starred together in "Get Low," another clean, decent film nobody saw.) There's the Israeli Mossad espionage flick "The Debt" - there's "Sarah's Key," there's "Another Earth," one of the best sci-fi movies in a long time. There's "Contagion," a throwback to the star-studded disaster flicks of the 1970's. There's also "The Help," which will likely get Best Picture Oscar nomination. There is new material - problem is, the quality movies generally tank because nobody goes to see them.

[/quote]

I agree. There are some really GOOD original movies out there.

They are making a film version of the board game "Battleship". Seriously. And they're remaking They Live and virtually every good film. It is much harder to find a good movie these days. They exist, but they are rare. The last two I enjoyed were Inception and The Book of Eli.

Meh, my little movie-goer’s code is simple: if it interests me I’ll watch it. If not, good luck getting the fans to persuade me. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:9, topic:255971"]
Meh, my little movie-goer's code is simple: if it interests me I'll watch it. If not, good luck getting the fans to persuade me. :p

[/quote]

Ebert's new movie show on PBS played an archived show (with Gene Siskel as co-host) where they were talking about how everyone in 1978 or 1979 or whatever year it was all went to see "Jaws" and "Animal House" and "Grease" and mentioned several better movies that nobody went to see. That show could have been from today because it seems to be a perennial 'problem.'

I don’t think there’s any need to be insulting. If you don’t agree with someone then that’s fine but no need to get mean.

I feel the same. There’s plenty of good material out there all the writers have to do is go to the library.

[quote="havana1, post:6, topic:255971"]

[/quote]

I saw Social Network which I think is a rare exception.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:13, topic:255971"]
I saw Social Network which I think is a rare exception.

[/quote]

Just heard about an Irish movie called "The Guard" which I'd like to see. Thought I'd pass it on since that doesn't happen often.

[quote="tomarin, post:14, topic:255971"]
Just heard about an Irish movie called "The Guard" which I'd like to see. Thought I'd pass it on since that doesn't happen often.

[/quote]

Will check on that it sounds interesting. Most of the movie I go to these days are foreign or independent films. Sadly Hollywood just cranks out the same stuff over and over. They are remaking footloose and a few others .....it's really ashame when you see what they did to Fame for example when they remade it. Oh well. :eek:

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:15, topic:255971"]
Will check on that it sounds interesting. Most of the movie I go to these days are foreign or independent films. Sadly Hollywood just cranks out the same stuff over and over. They are remaking footloose and a few others .....it's really ashame when you see what they did to Fame for example when they remade it. Oh well. :eek:

[/quote]

I'd say the drop in quality in foreign movies since the 1980's is even more pronounced than in Hollywood ones.

You can always take refuge in classic movies both foreign and American. Those will always deliver, if they're truly classic.

You know, it occurs to me it just might be that we're getting older, and that explains why we've "seen it all."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.