Self Worship and Church attendance

I look to my situation, the trials I'm facing, the uncertain future, and take great solace in going to mass, spending time in prayer with my Lord, and reading scripture. I then reflect upon where I was at, this time last year with these things, of which were not really a big part of my life at all, and even though last year at this time, things were seemingly much more secure in many areas of my life, I still was pretty miserable. Now, things are rather chaotic, have been for quite some time, and the difference here, I'm taking them to our Lord instead, I'm keeping very active with my prayer and church life, and I'm finding a great deal of peace, in spite of the situation at present, which is in contrast to how it was before.

I then reflect upon my room mate, he told me originally he's a die hard christian, now finding out, he really doesn't go to church, he on occasion listens to televangelists, and the rest of the elements in his world, are about the world itself. I then reference who I was then, and now, and realize, in a way, I was worshiping self, and this directly correlates to my church attendance. Church itself is a big priority in my life now, it's not something I do on the side, I make special accommodations to insure I'm there, and even though there are plenty of times when it's inconvenient, it's top priority over all things. Looking at his situation, he has a lot to deal with, trust me, a lot, and he's doing it entirely on his own, in his own mind, and without God, and this again correlates to lack of church attendance. I've urged him to join me at mass, even urged him to attend one of the protestant churches as well, for he told me he went to the latter, but instead, doesn't quite figure out that it needs to be "the" priority in his life, especially due to the struggles.

I'm now concluded here, upon reflection to all that I know, that do, or do not go to church, that non attendance, where it is no longer a priority directly correlates to one not interested in God, only themselves, and not taking a little time out of your week to attend church drives this home, either way, the fact remains. If you do not go to church, you are worshiping of self, if you do go, it's not going to guarantee it, but at least that's a huge indication you can show outwardly that you are not of the world, your trust is in God, and that what troubles you, you are bringing to him in prayer.

I think I know what you mean. As Catholics, we understand our obligation to attend Mass. The word obligation though sometimes gets people hung up. I feel an obligation to attend Mass like I feel an obligation to take care of my children. It is an obligation of love. What I have discussed with many protestants is that they feel no such obligation. That God is as present in their homes on a Sunday morning or out on a walk as he is in Church. They usually find my insistence at going to Mass oppressive. Like it's something the Church is forcing me to do. I usually just explain that my belief is that God asks us to keep holy the Sabbath and what better way to follow that commandment than to worship Him in His house. To go visit with Him. I have found that people in general regardless of religion, don't like to be commanded to do anything even if God is the One commanding. Maybe your roommate is just feeling like he sets the tone of his relationship with God instead of God.

I would suggest that you not pressure him to go as usually people resist even more. Just continue to set an example. Express your own joy at attending Mass. St Francis said that we should preach the Gospel often and only sometimes use words. He may be soaking in more than you are aware. It just needs to be his idea to attend church.

[quote="prodigalson12, post:1, topic:181750"]
I look to my situation, the trials I'm facing, the uncertain future, and take great solace in going to mass, spending time in prayer with my Lord, and reading scripture. I then reflect upon where I was at, this time last year with these things, of which were not really a big part of my life at all, and even though last year at this time, things were seemingly much more secure in many areas of my life, I still was pretty miserable. Now, things are rather chaotic, have been for quite some time, and the difference here, I'm taking them to our Lord instead, I'm keeping very active with my prayer and church life, and I'm finding a great deal of peace, in spite of the situation at present, which is in contrast to how it was before.

I then reflect upon my room mate, he told me originally he's a die hard christian, now finding out, he really doesn't go to church, he on occasion listens to televangelists, and the rest of the elements in his world, are about the world itself. I then reference who I was then, and now, and realize, in a way, I was worshiping self, and this directly correlates to my church attendance. Church itself is a big priority in my life now, it's not something I do on the side, I make special accommodations to insure I'm there, and even though there are plenty of times when it's inconvenient, it's top priority over all things. Looking at his situation, he has a lot to deal with, trust me, a lot, and he's doing it entirely on his own, in his own mind, and without God, and this again correlates to lack of church attendance. I've urged him to join me at mass, even urged him to attend one of the protestant churches as well, for he told me he went to the latter, but instead, doesn't quite figure out that it needs to be "the" priority in his life, especially due to the struggles.

I'm now concluded here, upon reflection to all that I know, that do, or do not go to church, that non attendance, where it is no longer a priority directly correlates to one not interested in God, only themselves, and not taking a little time out of your week to attend church drives this home, either way, the fact remains. If you do not go to church, you are worshiping of self, if you do go, it's not going to guarantee it, but at least that's a huge indication you can show outwardly that you are not of the world, your trust is in God, and that what troubles you, you are bringing to him in prayer.

[/quote]

I live in your same metropolitan area. I was an evangelical for 20 yrs before returning to my Catholic faith. I would say that 90% of my evangelical brothers and sisters in Christ who I worshipped with for years, no longer attend Church anywhere.

I am learning from studying online that some believe "cumpulsory" Church attendance on the Lord's Day is a Catholic construct.

This is the #1 thing that makes me sad these days. My unchurched friends. The ones who love Jesus.

Hmmm. That is an interesting way of looking at it and may be true to some extent for certain persons. But I’d ask you to keep in mind that many non-Catholic Christians do not view church attendance the same way Catholics view Church attendance (with a big “C.”) They do not see why sitting there in an uncomfortable pew being preached at about their sins and the evils of the world for an hour or more every Sunday morning is going to help them grow closer to God, deal with their problems, or feed their souls. They may not even see that as God talking to them, but man doing so in his stead (and under no special authority, for that matter.) There is a lot more to the Catholic Mass than there is to the hymns, Bible flippin’, and preaching of the Baptist services I attended all through my childhood and teenage years, and even if one has no special love for the liturgy, there is still the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, which cannot be found elsewhere. The same can not be said of the oyster crackers and grape kool-aid of my old Baptist church’s “communion” (offered only once a month, anyway, and even then, never on a Sunday!) If you went to church, it’s because you were expected to, or because you wanted “fellowship” with your fellow Christians, not because you expected you would find God there. After all, you can read the Bible at HOME if you are so inclined, or listen to a televangelist, if the “Word of God” is what you want.

Now I am not saying this is the mindset for all Protestants- I was never “all Protestants” :stuck_out_tongue: But that is how it used to be for me. Your room mate likely does not even know what he is missing, it does not necessarily mean he is worshiping himself in lieu of God, or even that his faith has no importance to him because he does not go to church on Sunday- please be careful not to judge the state of someone else’s soul or their own priorities in life, unless he has told you that God has no priority for him how can you possibly claim to know this? Because he does not seek God out in a place where he probably does not think God can actually be found? If he were Catholic, and believed as you did, and still did not make time for Church attendance, I could see where you are coming from. But if he is not, and does not believe as you do, well…I’m sure you can see my point, right?

Very true! There are literally no excuses.

Mass is a perpetuation of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. Nothing less. So, if a Christian were to know that Christ was celebrating His last supper (where He equates that to His crucifixion) would that person want to be anywhere else?

It behooves me that so many Catholics think that Mass is just a nice place to pray.While Mass, in and of itself, **IS **the greatest Christian prayer it is literally being present at the foot of the Cross. Who could wake up knowing this and say “I’ve got something better to do”?

Protestants don’t know this so church to them could really mean anything since Jesus is everywhere. But if you wish to meet Him where He met us at the Cross then one must attend a Catholic Mass. What a beautiful gift; second to none… teachccd

Oh and in Protestant theology people go to Church, In Catholic theology the Church goes to Mass................. teachccd

[quote="teachccd, post:7, topic:181750"]
Oh and in Protestant theology people go to Church, In Catholic theology the Church goes to Mass................. teachccd

[/quote]

I was referencing both at once here, so they are interchangable word wise in this context.

Protestants are urged to attend services every week, some denominations stress it more then others, but they clearly do see the direct need for fellowship on a regular basis. The difference though, regardless if the building has another human being in it, at a Catholic church, we still have Christs real presence there. I even brought in my room mate to the church I frequent, he himself noticed this, even though it was just the two of us, this is one of the reasons that endears me to pray there alone, for it's closer to his presence there then he is at other places. I also remember that it's written, his Fathers house is a house of prayer.

prodigalson said, "I look to my situation, the trials I'm facing, the uncertain future, and take great solace in going to mass, spending time in prayer with my Lord, and reading scripture. I then reflect upon where I was at, this time last year with these things, of which were not really a big part of my life at all, and even though last year at this time, things were seemingly much more secure in many areas of my life, I still was pretty miserable. Now, things are rather chaotic, have been for quite some time, and the difference here, I'm taking them to our Lord instead, I'm keeping very active with my prayer and church life, and I'm finding a great deal of peace, in spite of the situation at present, which is in contrast to how it was before."

What a wonderful expression of faith. I like to be around people who feel this way about what their faith inspires in them.

prodigalson said, "I then reflect upon my room mate, he told me originally he's a die hard christian, now finding out, he really doesn't go to church, he on occasion listens to televangelists, and the rest of the elements in his world, are about the world itself. I then reference who I was then, and now, and realize, in a way, I was worshiping self, and this directly correlates to my church attendance. Church itself is a big priority in my life now, it's not something I do on the side, I make special accommodations to insure I'm there, and even though there are plenty of times when it's inconvenient, it's top priority over all things. Looking at his situation, he has a lot to deal with, trust me, a lot, and he's doing it entirely on his own, in his own mind, and without God, and this again correlates to lack of church attendance. I've urged him to join me at mass, even urged him to attend one of the protestant churches as well, for he told me he went to the latter, but instead, doesn't quite figure out that it needs to be "the" priority in his life, especially due to the struggles."

For me, there is a danger in comparing what I do to what others do. It is furthermore a dangerous place for me to be in, thinking I know what others "need". That work is done by the Holy Spirit. My job is to extend the hand of love and friendship no matter what the circumstances and with those who cross my path in life...especially the least of our brothers and sisters".

prodigalson said, "I'm now concluded here, upon reflection to all that I know, that do, or do not go to church, that non attendance, where it is no longer a priority directly correlates to one not interested in God, only themselves, and not taking a little time out of your week to attend church drives this home, either way, the fact remains. If you do not go to church, you are worshiping of self, if you do go, it's not going to guarantee it, but at least that's a huge indication you can show outwardly that you are not of the world, your trust is in God, and that what troubles you, you are bringing to him in prayer."

I respectfully have to disagree with the idea that a person who claims to be a "Christian", who doesnt attend church is not in interested in God and worshiping self. As a Catholic, I have chosen to accept certain beliefs and practices and dont expect those of other faith traditions to adhere to what I believe in. As I said earlier, I believe it is dangerous thing for me to start making comparisons to others especially when the result is feeling superior to them.

I dont trust "outward indications" as a measure of a person's faith and relationship to God. I have seen some Catholics outside of the Church building behaving rather suspiciously :-)

My faith journey today has less to do with Church attendance and obligation but those things play an important role. For me, living each day in the reality of Father's love is an immense source of strength and inspiration. Maybe I can be a good example to my friends of other faith traditions but nothing can possibly equal what happened on the Cross that day.

Thanks for your comments. It made me think about what it is I believe.

Steve

[quote="Indy46220, post:9, topic:181750"]
prodigalson said, "I look to my situation, the trials I'm facing, the uncertain future, and take great solace in going to mass, spending time in prayer with my Lord, and reading scripture. I then reflect upon where I was at, this time last year with these things, of which were not really a big part of my life at all, and even though last year at this time, things were seemingly much more secure in many areas of my life, I still was pretty miserable. Now, things are rather chaotic, have been for quite some time, and the difference here, I'm taking them to our Lord instead, I'm keeping very active with my prayer and church life, and I'm finding a great deal of peace, in spite of the situation at present, which is in contrast to how it was before."

What a wonderful expression of faith. I like to be around people who feel this way about what their faith inspires in them.

prodigalson said, "I then reflect upon my room mate, he told me originally he's a die hard christian, now finding out, he really doesn't go to church, he on occasion listens to televangelists, and the rest of the elements in his world, are about the world itself. I then reference who I was then, and now, and realize, in a way, I was worshiping self, and this directly correlates to my church attendance. Church itself is a big priority in my life now, it's not something I do on the side, I make special accommodations to insure I'm there, and even though there are plenty of times when it's inconvenient, it's top priority over all things. Looking at his situation, he has a lot to deal with, trust me, a lot, and he's doing it entirely on his own, in his own mind, and without God, and this again correlates to lack of church attendance. I've urged him to join me at mass, even urged him to attend one of the protestant churches as well, for he told me he went to the latter, but instead, doesn't quite figure out that it needs to be "the" priority in his life, especially due to the struggles."

For me, there is a danger in comparing what I do to what others do. It is furthermore a dangerous place for me to be in, thinking I know what others "need". That work is done by the Holy Spirit. My job is to extend the hand of love and friendship no matter what the circumstances and with those who cross my path in life...especially the least of our brothers and sisters".

prodigalson said, "I'm now concluded here, upon reflection to all that I know, that do, or do not go to church, that non attendance, where it is no longer a priority directly correlates to one not interested in God, only themselves, and not taking a little time out of your week to attend church drives this home, either way, the fact remains. If you do not go to church, you are worshiping of self, if you do go, it's not going to guarantee it, but at least that's a huge indication you can show outwardly that you are not of the world, your trust is in God, and that what troubles you, you are bringing to him in prayer."

I respectfully have to disagree with the idea that a person who claims to be a "Christian", who doesnt attend church is not in interested in God and worshiping self. As a Catholic, I have chosen to accept certain beliefs and practices and dont expect those of other faith traditions to adhere to what I believe in. As I said earlier, I believe it is dangerous thing for me to start making comparisons to others especially when the result is feeling superior to them.

I dont trust "outward indications" as a measure of a person's faith and relationship to God. I have seen some Catholics outside of the Church building behaving rather suspiciously :-)

My faith journey today has less to do with Church attendance and obligation but those things play an important role. For me, living each day in the reality of Father's love is an immense source of strength and inspiration. Maybe I can be a good example to my friends of other faith traditions but nothing can possibly equal what happened on the Cross that day.

Thanks for your comments. It made me think about what it is I believe.

Steve

[/quote]

I have to leave here in a week, I'm essentially evicted and now back onto the unknown as to where I will now reside at. If you want outward appearance, here it is....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.