Sell your soul to Satan

Is it possible to sell your soul to Satan?

No. It is not.

But is it tax deductible??:confused:

Give yourself to Satan? Yep. Sell yourself to him? No. Give yourself to him irredeemably? No. When I was younger I was terrified because I’d sold my soul to the devil as part of a game. Couldn’t sleep for months :stuck_out_tongue:

So emm… does that count as a religious contribution? And maybe he just gets hit with a gift tax? :o

My thought has always been that you can’t sell what you don’t own. We give ownership of our souls to God at Baptism…

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

You were purchased by the blood of Jesus. Satan can not own you. Again, another of his lies in trying to elevate himself to God’s level. He can not own us. We are God’s. He can not give us anything, as everything is God’s to give. Remember Paul saying that all authority comes from God? Remember Jesus telling us that all good gifts come from God? Satan has nothing to offer, then, except lies.

Remember Jesus’ words in **Matthew 6:25-34:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat (or drink), or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’ All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself."

If we take Him at His word, then we need not contemplate business deals with a dishonest broker.
:knight1::knight2:

That reminds me of that Simpsons Halloween episode where Homer sells his soul for a doughnut. But in the end, Homer had already given his soul to Marge. That had better be the best doughnut ever!

:rotfl:

The phrase “sell your soul to satan” is a metaphor for when we decide to go satan’s way instead of God’s way. There was never any real selling.

I’ve heard of people who gave themselves to the devil but later repented of it and came back to God :slight_smile: but there are others who did not repent though… so I guess yes it is possible, but best not to do it… :wink: obviously…

as for ‘selling’ your soul, I don’t know… best not to try that either lol :stuck_out_tongue:

This is not the way you see it in the movies with the Devil represented by a handsome man in an Armani suit and your open vein bleeding over the contract.

Although some stylized satanic cults do have an actual theatric ritual.

A pact can be something as simple as asking the help of a demon to obtain a favor of some sort. Whether its for money or love or vengeance…it is immaterial. You open yourself up for demonic oppression, obssesion or possesion.

While some seek direct demonic assistance, others (knowingly or unknown to them) seek the help of a medium or a witch or some other occult wisdom, to obtain their desired results.

This is just as bad and results in the same danger.

I agree…

According to the Gospel, the one sin that is not forgiven, is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. By doing so, in a sense, does not one give his soul to the adversary?

The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the refusal to believe that He can effect your salvation.

Yes - pursuit of evil things is in effect selling your soul for those evil things.

However, the mercy of God is available to all sinners. It is greater than any sin. His mercy is infinite. Christ paid for our sins with his blood. All we have to do is repent and ask for mercy and our soul belongs to God again.

It’s important to understand that no matter what you’ve done, no matter what promises you think you’ve made to Satan, Jesus is still calling you to return to him.

Jesus has promised that if the Divine Mercy chaplet is prayed in the presence of a dying sinner, He will come and stand by that sinner at death - not as judge, but as Merciful Savior.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son - our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement of our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion - have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

John Marie Philomena

What is the difference between giving and selling?? If you offer your soul to the devil in exchange for nothing, it’s a valid transaction? If so, can you take it back, and HOW? I know some people are making light in this thread, but I’m being serious, these questions matter to an important person in my life!

It is not unforgiveable in the sense that God is not willing to forgive you. It’s that you decide it’s impossible for God to forgive you, even though that’s false.

You can’t be forgiven, because you think you can’t be forgiven.

But it is forgiveable. When one realizes their error and goes to Confession.

Giving yourself to Satan is simply to reject God. No ifs, ands or buts. No conditions, no ways around it. But you can always turn away from it and return to God - He is very forgiving.
By not being able to ‘sell your soul’, I was more referring to the popular conception of damning yourself in return to something. It wasn’t really a serious remark.

Can one truly sell their sould to Satan? Well, one could obtain the position of bishop entrusted with the moral leadership of one’s people. He could then aid and abett, (or merely turn a blind eye to) the sexual and physical torture of children (the one crime for which Christ advocated death). He could do so in exchange for ensuring the comfort and safety of his personal privilege and power. That I think would be a textbook Satanic transaction

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.