Selling Bad Items

Before I went to Confession today, I had decided to sell bad items in my life like extremely violent video games. After going to confession and confession that I had violent thoughts, he advised me (apart from my penance) to just throw away the bad movies and games. Could someone tell me if I should throw them away, or could I sell the items for money to be used for charity and more moral forms of entertainment?

Listen to what your confessor advised you.

If you sell them, somebody else will probably watch them. If they are really bad/immoral, that would not be good!

Selling them will just spread the sin. Your confessor was right, you should throw them away. What type of games and movies are we talking about? Movies that are violent for the sake of being violent you should probably steer clear of, but others that have violence may not necessarily be sinful movies. The Lord of the Rings is a pretty violent movie, but its moral undertones are amazing and all of its violence portrays a Christian-like struggle between good and evil. I would also recommend the Dark Knight Trilogy. It may be violent, but it has some deep morals to it.

I would dump anything that you feel is bad especially if your confessor agress to it... I got into New Age nonsense a while back... Angel cards... tarot cards etc... I had books and other items... I dumped the lot... If I could have burned the tarot cards I would have ... I had no bother doing this... and it made me feel free and unshackled to this false teaching... I regret bitterly that I even ventured into this... dumping these things gave me back my sense of worth and more important my true Faith ... If you really feel something is bad... get rid of it,.,. in the bin... where it belongs :)

God Bless +++

I'm talking about games like Red Dead Redemption or Borderlands

Hmmmm I just realized how tough it is to draw a fine line between what video games are okay and what are not haha. I would say any videogame that over glorifies violence like Mortal Combat or God of War is probably sinful perse. I think it would constitute the person actually taking pleasure in the violent portrayal and sort of feeling as if they are living through their characters rather than just watching their characters like actors on a movie. Senseless violence is pretty ridiculous, but if the game at least has some deeper message and does not focus on violence as the only snare to grab the viewer's attention then I think you're okay. For an enjoyable, not overly violent videogame, I would recommend the Uncharted series. It is very similar to India Jones, and has some crazy story telling with some really deep morals to it occasionally.

[quote="Kathrin, post:2, topic:324433"]
Listen to what your confessor advised you.

If you sell them, somebody else will probably watch them. If they are really bad/immoral, that would not be good!

[/quote]

Don't sell them. Smash them if applicable.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="SadandSinfulKid, post:1, topic:324433"]
Before I went to Confession today, I had decided to sell bad items in my life like extremely violent video games. After going to confession and confession that I had violent thoughts, *he advised me (apart from my penance) to just throw away the bad movies and games. * Could someone tell me if I should throw them away, or could I sell the items for money to be used for charity and more moral forms of entertainment?

[/quote]

You trusted that Priest enough to Confess your sins to him, consider trusting him enough to take his advice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.