Selling or Betting soul to devil?

Hi,

I have been wondering this for a while and I don’t think that it is possible, but it still is something that bothers me. You see, I have anxiety and mild OCD and the concept of selling/betting one’s soul has really been bothering me. I was randomly waiting for an elevator today and for someone reason the thought came in my head that I’d bet my soul or something if the elevator on the right came down before the one on the left. Totally stupid I know and I didn’t even want to think it, but once I did I got kind of scared and hoped that the left one would open first so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. And of course the one on the right came down first. I was kind of scared but then I thought about it and it doesn’t make sense that God would ever allow that to happen, right? Do I have anything to worry about? Should I go to confession? Is such a transaction possible? Thanks.

OCD, compulsive thoughts, and scrupulosity needs the assistance of a mental health professional and a priest familiar with these issues.

No, it is not possible to sell your soul.

Please get professional help for your issues.

The devil tempts us in all sorts of ways it is our job to say no and then ask christ to protect us and banish satan back in to hell. For satan is evil and the lord shall protect us. My grandma said that padre pio once said the devil is like barking raging chained up dog andhe won’t bite you unless you go near him so stay away from him and you shall not have a problem. May the lord our God Jesus Christ be with you always. God bless you and best of luck to you my thoughts and prayers.
-Love your brother,
BigdogAman

Hi Ginger snappies. I remember reading somewhere that the devil cannot read our minds. Only God can. So dont worry about it. Of course what I quoted above is what I read from posts somewhere in this forum and is no way 100% certain.

Im just putting it out there.

There’s an EJACULATION I like to use re satan and it goes like this: satan, I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Christ, be gone from here! Demons be bound, evil spirits be bound!

It works for me!

Much Peace!

Mike :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you can sell your soul or not. But I do know that in order for it to be valid (if it exists) a person would have to be fully aware its happening and give full consent.

You, however, are lacking a filter in your brain that would otherwise block such thoughts. So, you would not be held responsible for those thoughts when they come in your head. And don’t ponder whether or not you were fully aware and giving consent. You weren’t.

If a person can sell his soul it would be like selling a house. You can’t accidentally sell your house.

This.

And the St. Michael Prayer:

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

:crossrc:

Since present St. Michael prayer is taken from original St. Michael 1886 prayer change below from devil to devils is warented. Devils . . . fallen Angels
have souls and are evil spirits.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devils
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan and ALL the other evil spirits
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Original Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel written by Pope Leo XIII in 1886
English version
Glorious Prince of the Celestial Host, St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in the conflict which we have to sustain against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the world of darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places (Eph 6:12). Come to the rescue of men whom God has redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of the devil. It is thou whom Holy Church venerates as her guardian and her protector; thou whom the Lord has charged to conduct redeemed souls into heaven. Pray therefore, the God of peace, to subdue Satan beneath our feet, that he may no longer retain men captive nor do injury to the Church. Present our prayers to the Most High, that without delay they may draw His mercy down upon us. Seize “the dragon, the ancient serpent, which is the devil and Satan,” bind him and cast him into the bottomless pit…”that he may no longer seduce the nations” (Rev 20:2-3).

Latin version
Prínceps gloriosíssime caeléstis milítiae, sancte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in prœlio advérsus príncipes et potestátes, advérsus mundi rectóres tenebrárum harum, contra spirituália nequítiae in caeléstibus. Veni in auxílium hóminum, quos Deus ad imáginem similitúdinis suae fecit, et a tyránnide diáboli emit prétio magno. Te custódem et patrónum sancta venerátur Ecclésia; tibi trádidit Dóminus ánimas redemptórum in supérna felicitáte locándas. Deprecáre Deum pacis, ut cónterat Sátanam sub pédibus nostris, ne ultra váleat captívos tenére hómines et Ecclésiae nocére. Offer nostras preces in conspéctu Altíssimi, ut cito antícipent nos misericórdiae Dómini, et apprehéndas dracónem, serpéntem antíquum, qui est diábolus et sátanas et ligátum mittas in abýssum, ut non sedúcat ámplius gentes.

Amen.

Note: This prayer was composed by Pope Leo XIII in 1886 and is offered for the private recitation of the faithful in accord with the decree of Inde Ab Aliquot Annis of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, September 29, 1985.

It is NOT possible to sell your soul.

Not without a fiddle contest anyway.

Gingersnappies… please talk to a priest and tell him you have OCD.

AS far as I have understood from replies from ask an apologist, it is not possible to sell one’s soul to the devil. To REALLY, CONSCIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY attempt it would be a grave sin, but with OCD, thoughts often come into the head automatically, as you write, for some reason you don’t quite know. As somebody said here, like lacking the filter to filter them out.

OK I was torn should I post this but I decided it might probably help you. So here is the post i wrote and deleted again:

I think similar things have been discussed on this forum before, for example here
(now one caveat. With OCD such thoughts often come intrusively, automatically, without you wanting them, and then are NOT sins. Actually I am being torn now should I post these links or not, because for somebody with OCD many such things may be very different, and I do not want you to worry :slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

Here is one post:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=41305

But more importantly now, read this, also from ask an apologist:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=303861&highlight=sell+soul

Also have a look at this story forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=689932&highlight=ocd+car+soul
especially read the reply of Mustang 1971

I have scrupulosity myself and sometimes I have been tempted (for a while this happened very often!!!) to make a promise, like for example if I found something again I’d have to… something like give up a big dream, never do anymore something I like, or whatever. Such thopughts would come into my head so fast that afterward often I was unsure, did I now promise it or was it just an automatic thought?
Sometimes I am not sure if something was just a thought or an intention, or did I make an actual “promise” in my head?

Please talk to a priest about this problem. I have gotten priestly help myself and was reassured so many times; trying to learn now to trust myself…and trust Jesus, God, of course! Who is LOVE.
Maybe you can talk to the priest who celebrates mass today? If there are confessions, you may go there, and just state your problem, you dilemma, your fear. If there is anything you need to confess, the priest will tell you. Or he will just reassure you, and help you feel the love of God (of course, there may be other things you wanted to confess anyway :slight_smile: ). But you need to tell him you have OCD, or mild OCD how you state it.

With all this said and even links given, I must caution you still about trying to get help from the internet. I often find more things to worry about when I try that… really your best thing to do is talk to a priest… preferably somebody you already know, but otherwise just take your chance and walk up to one, but be sure to tell him in the beginning that you have OCD :slight_smile:

May God bless you and reassure you… try to feel HIS Love in prayer…

And remember that OCD/scrupulosity has a ways to put doubts into our heads. If you feel you suffer from scrupulosity, read this. You may find yourself in it… If you are not sure if what you ahve is actually scrupulosity, ask your priest, he is probably experienced in it (maybe ask him first if he is experienced in it ? :slight_smile: )

fatherdoyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/scruples-and-their-treatment.pdf

all the very very best… I hope I didn’t post anything wrong … (see how I am also scrupulous? :wink: )

Kathrin

:rotfl:

Let us know how you are ok? :slight_smile:

I am saying good night for now, as I am writing from Europe… :wave:

Hey everyone, sorry I haven’t been on for a while…

I’m doing better. I still struggle with OCD and scrupulosity, but I’m slowly getting better. I contacted/met with a priest a few times to talk about it but he seemed annoyed with me and basically told me he’s too busy, which I get. Priests are busy, but it would have been nice to have a spiritual director. :frowning:

Anyway, thanks everyone for your responses and prayers would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

God Bless you all

I completely agree.

I’ve had professional help in the past which has helped. I think what I really need is a spiritual director. I tried getting one, but it didn’t work out. I stopped contacting him because he was busy and didn’t like it when I emailed him the few times that I did. :frowning:

I guess I will just have to figure it out on my own. My family is very supportive, which helps alot. Maybe I’ll try and seek more help from them.

Thank you and God Bless you :slight_smile:

God bless your heart, child.

I hope you find a good spiritual director and will pray that you do. :thumbsup:

If that one priest was too busy, can you talk to a different one?
Please don’t be afraid to ask somebody else, or even ask the other one again at another time if there is no other available.
I have had so many wonderful uplifting encounters with several priests along the lines of my scrupulosity, that I dare say that in general they are very empathetic about it.:slight_smile:
Maybe you just really caught that one at a very busy time…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.