Semi-nude materinity photos?

Hi I met with the photographer who is taking our maternity/newborn photos last night and she asked if I was okay with semi-nude photos (nothing actually exposed except bare belly, arms over chest and fabric draped below the belly). I told her I was but I got to thinking about modesty and I'm wondering if it's inappropriate? I don't think I would post them on facebook or anything and I would request she didn't use them in her advertising/website but I thought they might be some beautiful pictures for my husband and I to remember this time in our lives. I feel the purpose is to show how beautiful pregnancy can be and not to be sexy or anything (I don't know how sexy a 8 month pregnant belly can be!). I'm just wondering what others think about this?

Kept for yourself? Why not.

My daughter & her hubby have done their own and the one she has shown me is beautiful. That's my grandchild in there! You see less than if she were in a bathing suit, there's just more of her midriff to see than usual. :D

Nudity isn't a bad thing. Adults used to be baptised in the nude. Granted I do believe that the sexes were kept separate, but that had been the practice. There are also tons of sacred art that involves nudes. There's a distinct contrast between art that glorifies the beauty of the human body and photography or "art" that sexualizes it. The one issue to consider though is how sexualized we have made the human body to be and how people are sort of tuned in to seeing the naked body in only a sexualized manner. This explains our discomfort with nursing in public even though there is Catholic art of the Bless Virgin nursing the infant Jesus.

I personally think that its important to not only learn to see the beauty of the human body in a non-sexualized way, but that we teach our children to do this as well. A good place to start is taking them to art museums.

In regard to the baby bump pictures, I think it completely depends on your comfort level. But in regards to being "sexy" pregnant it is possible. In fact, I'm pretty sure my husband is going to miss by baby bump. I think you'd be surprised how many men find pregnant women attractive. So when it comes to the photos, do realize it is possible for them to become inappropriate.

I share your concerns. If you are not feeling comfortable doing these pictures, you don't have to. I use Facebook to keep up with family, friends and current issues but I wouldn't post personal pictures that show bare body parts, pregnant or not. Anybody can see those pictures including your boss, priests, children, people who have strange or lustful thoughts and people who find that it's too much information and might not be able to interact with you in the same way after they see your body's pictures. And get ready for the nice, the nasty, the lustful and the strange comments that maybe you don't want to hear. Personally if I were 8 months pregnant and people were asking me to post belly pictures on Facebook I would either:
-not post anything
-post normal pictures, fully clothed and beaming

Don't feel like you HAVE TO post pictures of your pregnancy on the internet just because some people expect it and others are curious. When my last baby was born I didn't turn on my computer for 2 weeks. People on FB were mad because they had no visual update of my baby as soon as she was born. I don't care, the world is till going to go on. You shouldn't care either. Take good care of you and your baby.

twoangels gave you some good advice. Nudity in and of itself is not a bad thing, and we should learn to appreciate the beauty of the human body. If you're planning on keeping the pictures for yourselves, go ahead as long as you're comfortable with it.

Nothing at all wrong with it! In fact, by keeping this pictures and showing them to close friends and family along with the other photos in the baby album is a good thing as it is showing the human body as it was meant to be - a beautiful, sacred thing which doesn't have to be sexualised to be worth looking at, as we're often told in our society.

Nothing annoys me more than when you hear of mothers being told to "cover-up" while nursing, yet in my country we have mainstream newspapers who claim to be morally upstanding and representative of "middle England" and feature pictures of naked 18 year olds on page 3.

So you should consider posing for these photos as a way of fighting against the over-sexualisation of women! :) In a small way, but as one of our popular supermarkets say - "Every little helps!"

So you should consider posing for these photos as a way of fighting against the over-sexualisation of women! In a small way, but as one of our popular supermarkets say - "Every little helps!"

What does everyone else think of posting them (i.e. facebook). Like I said I don't really plan to do this mostly because I don't want people to get the wrong idea. I might see them as art but someone else might get the wrong impression - especially those men that find pregnant women attractive (I guess I didn't realize how common that is until DH told me some comments one of the guys he grew up made about pregnant women when they would see them out). I would be comfortable showing them to close friends and family and the child when they get older.

I took some maternity photos and a few were of that style. I had my jeans and bra on (straps tucked into cups) and then a large swatch of cloth covered my chest and draped down around my belly. I was concerned about 'taste' issues as well and told the photographer (who happens to be my sister's boyfriend's sister) not to post anything that wasn't tasteful. I was VERY happy with the results. Instead of looking crass or ugly they look like very beautiful belly pics.

I do plan on posting them on my blog (tonight in fact), which I then also post a link to on Facebook. If these pics somehow made it into her portfolio to show others I would be okay with that as well as they were done so well.

If you are interested in this type of photo I would talk to your photographer about seeing the other works that he/she has done so get an idea of what their final result would look like. That way you'll have proof of whether the photos are tasteful or not.

To kind of add to the topic, for Facebook/blog/etc posts I always think of what my Grandmother would say if she was reading/seeing what I was doing. If it's Grandma approved it goes online! If not, I really question whether it needs to be said/shown.

[quote="brbgrl, post:7, topic:228490"]
What does everyone else think of posting them (i.e. facebook). Like I said I don't really plan to do this mostly because I don't want people to get the wrong idea. I might see them as art but someone else might get the wrong impression - especially those men that find pregnant women attractive (I guess I didn't realize how common that is until DH told me some comments one of the guys he grew up made about pregnant women when they would see them out). I would be comfortable showing them to close friends and family and the child when they get older.

[/quote]

I didn't say posting, I said posing. I never suggested you should post them on facebook or publically. :confused:

[quote="takers, post:8, topic:228490"]

If it's Grandma approved it goes online! If not, I really question whether it needs to be said/shown.

[/quote]

That should be Facebooks etiquette for posting pictures If it's Grandma approved it goes online! :rotfl:

I didn't say posting, I said posing. I never suggested you should post them on facebook or publically.

Oh, sorry! I obviously mis-read that! Still curious as to what people think about POSTING them.

[quote="brbgrl, post:11, topic:228490"]
Oh, sorry! I obviously mis-read that! Still curious as to what people think about POSTING them.

[/quote]

I think in this case for semi-nude pics, because it is a pregnancy then it is actually a very beautiful thing and I doubt that many people will have an issue with it at all since it will be tastefully done. Go for it, dear. :thumbsup:

My daughter has hers as her Facebook picture. I doubt anyone would say it’s sexy but it is beautiful.

I don't think they're appropriate for posting online. I think it's too personal a view of you to share with anyone besides your husband. I would be uncomfortable if one of my girlfriends showed me pictures like that of herself. Heck, I don't even want to see my sister's body that up close and personal.

[quote="brbgrl, post:7, topic:228490"]

[/quote]

Personally, if I were married and decided to take the pictures I'd only share them with my husband. That's a personal preference though, as I'm quite modest and he's the only one I'd want to see me in any state of undress. So is the rest of my family, so I don't think they'd care to see any pictures like that.

I think it would be nice to show them to friends and family if they would appreciate them, but I'd never put them on Facebook. Not only do some men find it attractive, which could be a problem (if I were a man I wouldn't particularly want other men looking at my wife that way!), but I also think it makes the pictures a bit less special and beautiful if you don't show any discrimination regarding who gets to see them (your husband vs. someone you went to high school with but never talk to anymore).

Personally, if I were married and decided to take the pictures I'd only share them with my husband. That's a personal preference though, as I'm quite modest and he's the only one I'd want to see me in any state of undress. So is the rest of my family, so I don't think they'd care to see any pictures like that.

I think it would be nice to show them to friends and family if they would appreciate them, but I'd never put them on Facebook. Not only do some men find it attractive, which could be a problem (if I were a man I wouldn't particularly want other men looking at my wife that way!), but I also think it makes the pictures a bit less special and beautiful if you don't show any discrimination regarding who gets to see them (your husband vs. someone you went to high school with but never talk to anymore).

I agree with this and my husband probably would too! I really can't see myself actually posting anything like that as I'm pretty modest too, it's just interesting to hear others thoughts/opinions on it. I don't think I would show them off to friends/family but if they asked to see them I don't think I would mind (especially females). I grew up with all girls (just mom and sister) and only one bathroom so not much modesty there!

I'm very sad I didn't get these kinds of photos. It was such an amazing journey. And my stomach was HUGE!!!! It would take the whole frame;)

RE: posting on FB... depends on WHO your "friends" are. If they are really friends, and family, and NO Aquaintences, or people that might circle in your professional ring? Or say, church memebers or mom's from school that don't know you THAT well... I'd re consider! Mostly, because it's kind of personal...

I'm very sad I didn't get these kinds of photos. It was such an amazing journey. And my stomach was HUGE!!!! It would take the whole frame

RE: posting on FB... depends on WHO your "friends" are. If they are really friends, and family, and NO Aquaintences, or people that might circle in your professional ring? Or say, church memebers or mom's from school that don't know you THAT well... I'd re consider! Mostly, because it's kind of personal...

Good point. I'm "friends" with pretty much anyone I've ever gone to school with, worked with, probably even some men I previously dated. I certainly don't want all those people seeing those photos! I do post a monthly belly shot but that is fully clothed and I'm sure I'll post some of the fully clothed professional shots too.

[quote="NSFrame, post:14, topic:228490"]
I don't think they're appropriate for posting online. I think it's too personal a view of you to share with anyone besides your husband. I would be uncomfortable if one of my girlfriends showed me pictures like that of herself. Heck, I don't even want to see my sister's body that up close and personal.

[/quote]

I totally agree with this. Keep it at home with your husband. Not everyone thinks seeing a semi-naked ANYONE is appropriate on line. I personally don't need to see someone's growing belly without clothing on it. A clothed pregnant belly on FB, fine, I think that's lovely, and it is nice to see the progress of the pregnancy and get excited. But I really don't need to see the semi-naked photos. Not on FB, not in email. Keep it for your husband. :p

~Liza

Just a thought about posting - one day your child will be a teenager. Once something hits cyberspace it never leaves. Imagine your little boy's friends getting a hold of the pic with you pregnant with him semi-nude and being posted and tagged to his facebook or if she is a little girl one of her future boyfriends being ridiculed the same way. Just tossing the other side out at you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.