Seminarian/Godfather

Can a seminarian be a Godfather ?? I have heard both yes and no on the the subject. where would I find the answer ?

I do not see why not.

There is no where to “find” the answer to such a specific scenario. This would be like saying that you wish to locate something that allows seminarians to wear shoes without buckles. The answer is yes, until someone shows you something authoritative that says they cannot. This will be impossible, since such a regulation does not exist. Even priests can be sponsors–note that the Church uses the term sponsor, while the other term is a social construct.

My DD's is, and was at the time of the baptism.

He just had to get permission from his superior for travel.

[quote="Aggies08, post:4, topic:289972"]
My DD's is, and was at the time of the baptism.

He just had to get permission from his superior for travel.

[/quote]

Even if he couldn't leave the seminary and attend, it could still be done by proxy.

When dinosaurs roamed the planet (i.e in pre-conciliar days), it was the case that a cleric ordained to the sub-diaconate was not allowed to be a baptismal sponsor. However I think that (along with so much else) has changed, and I recall reading on this forum some time ago that even priests are now allowed to do this. :shrug:

I do know a priest who is Godfather to his niece :) He also Baptised her .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.