Seminarians and Clerical Clothes

I'm discerning the priesthood and looking at the diocesan priesthood in Dublin, Ireland. One question I have about this is regarding the use of clerical clothes by seminarians. I just wonder is it a requirement or what?

Personally, I would have thought so. Does anyone have any input on this.

Cheers...God Bless

Most seminaries these days have a requirement that seminarians wear clerical dress in the Theologate (graduate theology studies). From what I understand, it comes from a long tradition of seminarians wearing clerical dress prior to ordination, a practice that fell out of favor for a while. Pope John Paul II (1982) mandated that every seminarian in Rome who had received candidacy to wear clerical dress, regardless of his home diocese. The practice gradually spread to the rest of the world re-adopting the practice.

These days, the application is fairly wide. At some seminaries, candidacy is a third-year rite, just before diaconate. At others, candidacy is a first-year requirement of theology. Some wear clerical dress throughout theology, or only part. Some wear clerical dress only at ordination to the diaconate. Some seminaries require clerical dress all the time on seminary grounds; others only at formal functions or class, or various functions. Typically in the US, clerical dress is not worn by seminarians outside of the seminary except specific instances, but that is an old US practice somewhat unique to us here. I don't know about the rest of the world. Wearing clerics helps the seminarian adopt the identity of spiritual father, and helps remind him that he is never "off-duty," and cannot remove the identity of the priest like a uniform. There's a lot of discussion on this in various places, but I hope this answers your question.

Congratulations on your discernment. May God fill you with his love, and give you peace in knowing his will.

Thanks

Your answer was very helpful.

:blessyou:

It depend on the conference of bishop of your country and your diocese. In france for example it's not a requirement but te conference exige to have a distinctive sign like a cross. In USA for example, in many dioceses it a requirement.

In all the case, the question will be during theological studies, not the first year.
Don't forget that the pope John Paul 2 always repeat that priest have to put clerical clothes, and I'm totally right because in our actual society, it's urgent to see priest in the quotidian life as examples. For me, that could be a way for the New Evangelisation.

God bless you,

http//:leandresz.com/en/

[quote="AdamPeter, post:1, topic:286517"]
I'm discerning the priesthood and looking at the diocesan priesthood in Dublin, Ireland. One question I have about this is regarding the use of clerical clothes by seminarians. I just wonder is it a requirement or what?

Personally, I would have thought so. Does anyone have any input on this.

Cheers...God Bless

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.