Seminary Tuition

I hope this is the right place to post this…

I am currently in discernment for a vocation in the priesthood and im currently looking into local seminaries ( dioceses of Rockford) and the only undergraduate school i can find is St.Joseph’s Seminary in the dioceses of Chicago. So question #1: is there a specific undergraduate seminary that the Rockford dioceses uses? And question #2: tuition is like $44,000 a year at St.Joseph’s, how would a priest (especially one going into an order, with no salaries) pay the off?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer this :thumbsup:

God Bless

I’m in Canada, but I know my friend’s seminary was paid for by our diocese. I believe this is how it is in Canada unless you specialize like the FSSP, but their tuition is heavily subsidized and parishes will usually sponsor the seminarian.

So my answer to you is either the diocese pays for it or you get sponsored and someone else foots the bill.

The problem is is that my dioceses isnt represented at St.Joesph’s seminary and i cant find an undergraduate seminary in my dioceses. Does it matter if my dioceses has no representation at the school?

I don’t know. Ask your vocations director.

In this day of low vocations most dioceses arrange for their priests to go to one of a few of the seminaries nationwide. I know my diocese sends future priests to one (or more) of four seminaries, plus the American college in Rome. You should check the vocations page at your diocese for more info.

As for tuition, I'm not too sure. In both of the diocese I have lived in recently and others I have visited collections are taken up partially to pay for seminarians so I believe most if not all of the tuition is paid by the diocese, and groups like the Knights of Columbus often help sponsor seminarians as well. It could depend on whether you are in Seminary for undergrad or graduate levle work. Those men who already posess a degree skip the first few "undergrad" years of seminary.

I'm a seminarian for the Archdiocese of Mobile, but studying undergrad in St. Benedict, LA. Our archdiocese also sends undergrads to St. Myriad in Indiana. We were given some input in deciding between these two schools, but some dioceses only send their seminarians to one school.

As for tuition, it really depends on the diocese. Some dioceses pay 100% of the tuition for their seminarians while others pay very little. It seems to me that most dioceses pay about half for their seminarians in undergrad and all for their seminarians in major seminary. Most dioceses are willing to help you out if you can't pay for your own schooling, but they do want you to make the effort and invest in your own education to show that you are serious about discerning.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

[quote="VENETI3, post:1, topic:266656"]
I hope this is the right place to post this..

I am currently in discernment for a vocation in the priesthood and im currently looking into local seminaries ( dioceses of Rockford) and the only undergraduate school i can find is St.Joseph's Seminary in the dioceses of Chicago. So question #1: is there a specific undergraduate seminary that the Rockford dioceses uses? And question #2: tuition is like $44,000 a year at St.Joseph's, how would a priest (especially one going into an order, with no salaries) pay the off?

God Bless

[/quote]

You need to discuss this with your diocese. Each diocese has their own program/process for the undergraduate level...

What is the basic seminary training programme in US? Here in England it's a six year course. I get the impression from this thread that there may be two parts to the US programme: undergraduate and postgraduate.

[quote="Matthew_Holford, post:8, topic:266656"]
What is the basic seminary training programme in US? Here in England it's a six year course. I get the impression from this thread that there may be two parts to the US programme: undergraduate and postgraduate.

[/quote]

It is a 6 year program, 4 years of undergrad study ( ending with a Bachelors degree in Philosophy) then a 2 year Masters of Divinity ( Theology) study.

here's a previous post where I offered some info on a common curriculum

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=8643614&postcount=12

[quote="VENETI3, post:3, topic:266656"]
The problem is is that my dioceses isnt represented at St.Joesph's seminary and i cant find an undergraduate seminary in my dioceses. Does it matter if my dioceses has no representation at the school?

[/quote]

It doesn't matter if there's a seminary in your diocese. The diocese will send you to a seminary somewhere else.

[quote="Brendan, post:9, topic:266656"]
It is a 6 year program, 4 years of undergrad study ( ending with a Bachelors degree in Philosophy) then a 2 year Masters of Divinity ( Theology) study.

here's a previous post where I offered some info on a common curriculum

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=8643614&postcount=12

[/quote]

The years vary depending on circumstances.

Essentially, if you do not have a college degree you will take 12 credits in theology and either obtain a bachelors degree in Philosophy or obtain any degree you want but you must take 30 (iirc) credits of philosophy.

If you already have a college degree you will then enter into what's called a Pre-Theology program. Usually that's a 2 year program focusing on Philosophy.

Once you've completed either your Undergraduate work or Pre-Theology program, you then attend Major Seminary for 4 years. During that time you will receive, at a minimum, a Masters of Divinity. However, during that time you will be involved in many other formation related courses and projects beyond the degree's requirements.

So, essentially in the USA its anywhere from a 6 to 8 year process.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:10, topic:266656"]
It doesn't matter if there's a seminary in your diocese. The diocese will send you to a seminary somewhere else.

[/quote]

Aye, one of the main seminaries they send our seminarians to isn't even in the same country, let alone diocese.

If you're being called to be a priest, everything will work itself out in some way.

Thanks everyone so much for your imput. I have contacted my vocations director and i'm waiting for a responce.
Once again thanks so much.
God bless

[quote="VENETI3, post:13, topic:266656"]
Thanks everyone so much for your imput. I have contacted my vocations director and i'm waiting for a responce.
Once again thanks so much.
God bless

[/quote]

Are you planning on becoming a diocesan priest? I ask because I note that you are a self-avowed traditionalist Catholic. You might be better served spiritually and you might better serve others spiritually if you join a group such as the FSSP or ICKSP. I recommend looking into that.

It is true that even diocesan priests can celebrate the Extraordinary Form if they so choose without recourse, but you kind of have the "luck of the draw" many times with parishes, and you might end up in a place fully inhospitable to anything traditional, much less the EF mass itself, or unequipped for the pomp. It isn't wrong or selfish to pursue a group like the FSSP or ICKSP just for the way they celebrate mass. The EF and the OF are different, and people get different things from different forms of the mass, and in a priest this is especially important, as it determines how good of a priest he's going to be. People are spiritually inclined to different things, so don't brush this off as "my personal desires=bad/selfish." Food for thought.

Let's pray for VENETI, people. He might be administering you Viaticum one day. Or not.

Actually i was leaning toward the parish life of a diocesian priest, but the reason was no completly for myself. You see im an only child of a single mother and there’s no way i could leave for the life of an order and not ve able to support her in one way or another if and when the time comes that shes too old to care for herself… As a diocesan priest i would be getting a basic salary and would be able to, at least, partially contribute to a nursing facility.
So if any of those orders u mentioned have the same benefits of a parish priests please let me know, because yes i do follow the pre-1962 catholic way of life
Thanks and God Bless

And i much appriciate your prayers.. You will be in mine as well

[quote="VENETI3, post:1, topic:266656"]
I hope this is the right place to post this..

I am currently in discernment for a vocation in the priesthood and im currently looking into local seminaries ( dioceses of Rockford) and the only undergraduate school i can find is St.Joseph's Seminary in the dioceses of Chicago. So question #1: is there a specific undergraduate seminary that the Rockford dioceses uses? And question #2: tuition is like $44,000 a year at St.Joseph's, how would a priest (especially one going into an order, with no salaries) pay the off?

God Bless

[/quote]

sometimes in the roman church a diocese would back a prospect
when they show thier church they are a good person and ready for it, a diocese will send a person thru school. but I have also heard a diocese stop backing a student if thier grades go down or if other problems arise. and sometimes for no given reason at all too. if you dont have a diocese behind you, you can also try student loans.

And i much appriciate your prayers… You will be in mine as well

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:14, topic:266656"]
Are you planning on becoming a diocesan priest? I ask because I note that you are a self-avowed traditionalist Catholic. You might be better served spiritually and you might better serve others spiritually if you join a group such as the FSSP or ICKSP. I recommend looking into that.

[/quote]

Thanks I have conctacted them about the differences between their society and that of diocesian life, and just waiting for a responce.
But if anyone out there has more intimate knowledge of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest or the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, I would love to hear your input.

God Bless

[quote="VENETI3, post:19, topic:266656"]
Thanks I have conctacted them about the differences between their society and that of diocesian life, and just waiting for a responce.
But if anyone out there has more intimate knowledge of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest or the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, I would love to hear your input.

God Bless

[/quote]

Formation for FSSP is through Our Lady of Guadalupe in Denton, Nebraska. Cost is $7k/yr for tuition, room, and board, subsidized by benefactors. It is a 7 year program, including 1 year of spiritual formation, 2 years of philosophy, and 4 years of theological studies.

FSSP priests are diocesan priests who promise to celebrate mass in the old rubrics and norms, from what I can gather. They say that your bishop could send you there for studies, but I can't imagine many bishops who would jump for such a proposition (and remember, as a diocesan priest, you are promising to obey the local bishop).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.