Sen. Tim Scott: Democrats Cannot Allow Republicans To Be Seen As A Party That Reaches Out To All Communities

Sen. Tim Scott: Democrats Cannot Allow Republicans To Be Seen As A Party That Reaches Out To All Communities

Back to Videos

Posted By Ian Schwartz
On Date June 24, 2020

Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) delivered an impassioned speech on race and racism on the Senate floor following news that Democrats will filibuster Scott’s bipartisan police reform bill. Scott said he was disappointed Democrats blocked his police reform proposal from a vote in the Senate Wednesday.

“The actual problem is not what is being offered. It is who is offering it. Took me a long time to figure out the most obvious thing in the room. It’s not they what,” Scott said.

“What I missed in this issue is that the stereotyping of Republicans is just as toxic and poison to the outcomes of the most vulnerable communities in this nation. That’s the issue. When Speaker Pelosi says one of the most heinous things I can imagine: that the Republicans are actually trying to cover up murder, the murder of Feorge Floyd with our legislation, that’s not politics. That’s not a game to win. That’s you lose. You will sooner or later lose. But immediately every kid around the nation that heard that nonsense lost that moment.”

This issue is a personal one for Sen. Scott too. He’s been candid about how he’s been stopped several times in one year by police simply for “driving while black.” He’s also been stopped trying to walk into a Senate building.

But he’s not bitter. Instead, he’s trying to enact some real change in the nation’s police departments, focusing on de-escalation and intervention training for officers.

And instead of respect from his Democratic colleagues, Scott’s campaign has been met with invective. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) dismissed Sen. Scott’s introduction of the JUSTICE Act as a “token” speech, a poor choice of words considering Scott has been insulted as the “token” black member of the Republican party…

1 Like

Poor choice of words? I’m inclined to believe that’s exactly what he meant.

Senator Scott was spot on.

3 Likes

I don’t think the most Democrats in the House or Senate really want to solve this issue. They certainly don’t want it solved through a Republican bill or really even a bipartisan bill.

They want their own impossible version to present so they can claim Republicans shot it down and don’t want change. Since leftist media doesn’t report favorably on Republican issue, most of their followers will never know that the Republican tried to pass a bill.

Besides the Dems like having the chaos, to them it seems like good politics.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.