Senate Democrats Block Zika Bill Over Planned Parenthood Provisions

WASHINGTON — As Congress returned from a seven-week recess on Tuesday, Senate Democrats again stymied a $1.1 billion plan to fight the Zika virus, demanding that Republicans drop an effort to block Planned Parenthood from receiving money to combat the mosquito-borne disease.

Democrats, who had essentially blocked the same legislation in late June, had enough votes Tuesday to prevent Congress from moving emergency funding public health experts say is desperately needed as they prepare for the possibility that Zika will spread to other states along the gulf coast. The vote was 52 to 46, and Republicans needed 60 votes to advance the bill.

Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican majority leader, said that although efforts to fight the virus had produced encouraging results, the problem was far from over.

“It’s hard to explain why, despite their own calls for funding, Democrats would block plans to keep women and babies safe from Zika,” Mr. McConnell said before the vote.

More:
mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/07/us/politics/zika-senate-congress.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

I was baffled how Zika and Planned Parenthood could be related. It seems democrats want an earmark for PP to provide health services via contraceptives and abortions. Planned Parenthood could not provide services for any child or pregnancy related to Zika and Microencephlitis, so it’s really Dems blocking the bill in order to provide a pork belly earmark for their favorite poster child for the war on women.

And some people wonder why Congressional approval ratings are at an all time low… :shrug:

While I find the Democrats’ PP-fetish abhorrent, I guess I can accept their support for it even if I think it’s wrong given a lot of what the organisation does. But to tie anti-Zika funding to support for it is quite frankly beyond the pale. It’s not the first time that members of either party have blocked important legislation to make what is nothing more than a silly political point. Shame on them.

I guess the question is, given this shameful political reality, whether allowing that money for PP to go ahead (it’s not like without it it’s going to wither and die next week), on the basis of the good that over a billion dollars of support for Zika research/treatment can do, can be in any way construed as acceptable.

Why don’t they just propose a clean bill without all these riders that have nothing to do with the original intent of the bill? It seems to a layperson like myself to be a poor idea to attach irrelevant riders to a bill.

People believe zika is responsible for the smaller head defect…it is not…zika existed for decades and only now have these birth defects happened. This is all about eugenics…not helping defeat the zika.

When they sprayed in south Carolina …they killed millions of bees. Those bees are needed as pollinators.

Insecticides were put in the drinking water (to combat the mosquitoes) down in the south America country where these defects were reported.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization said, “Based on observational, cohort and case-control studies there is strong scientific consensus that Zika virus is a cause of GBS, microcephaly and other neurological disorders.”

Do you have any evidence of this, or is it as much an unsubstantiated claim as you think the correlation of Zika to the birth defects? It sounds much like the now proven false and deadly claims about the link of infant and child vaccines to autism.

“Riders” such as the requirement that Planned Parenthood not get any of the money?

What does Planned Parenthood have anything to do with the original intent of the bill? Why does this provision make Democrats stall the bill?

Let’s be frank, the Democrats want to funnel even more money to Planned Parenthood for abortion and contraception, and they want to use this zika bill as the means to do it. Once again the Democrat Party is supporting intrinsic evil that no Catholic can support. Support for or vote for any Democrat is support for intrinsic evil.

Democrats in Congress are willing to use any crisis as a reason to give more money to Planned Parenthood.

Gotta find a way to line Judas’s coffers. I am shocked none of the usual progressive cheerleaders aren’t commenting on this topic. Where are they?.

House Republicans did not want to fund the Zika effort, so they added “poison pill” provisions knowing they were unacceptable to Democrats. Then they could blame Democrats for not accepting the bill.

The GOP has not missed an opportunity to attack Planned Parenthood, in this case denying Planned Parenthood funding for family planning services (none of the funds would have paid for abortions due to the Hyde Amendment). In addition, Democrats objected to a relaxation of restrictions on pesticide spraying and the absence of a ban on Confederate flags at some Veterans Affairs cemeteries.

Marco Rubio, for example, has joined the Democrats in urging the GOP to drop the “poison pill” provisions so that a clean Zika funding bill can be passed.

The bee population is down all over, and the latest information suggests that this is due to insecticides. And as you noted, the overuse of insecticides may have other horrible effects on humans.

Yet the official record seems to indicate otherwise. The record shows that the Republicans in the House voted to fund the Zika effort and the Democrats voted not to. Those are the facts. The best you could do is speculate that they voted for something they don’t believe in, and that would be difficult to prove given how they actually voted.

Yet, Catholics are more likely to vote for democrats in general, especially in this election? I don’t understand how they can justify their vote, even if they don’t like the other one. Then again, most Catholics don’t attend Mass and they even support modernist evils like abortion and gay marriage. (Source for the latter claim.)

I suppose the Catholics here are a particularly pious bunch? :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.