Senate OKs bill letting families of 9/11 victims sue Saudi Arabia, despite threats

The Senate on Tuesday approved legislation allowing families of Sept. 11 victims to sue the government of Saudi Arabia, defying a White House veto threat as well as brazen threats of economic retaliation from Riyadh.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/17/senate-approves-sept-11-legislation-despite-saudi-threats.html :thumbsup:

It’ll die in the Oval Office.

I hope this does not cause a war between the United States and Saudi Arabia.

Does this open the door to the US being sued by all those we have bombed?

Yeah, that’s the thing that keeps me awake at nights, the Mighty Saudi Military…:rolleyes:

The mighty Saudi military does have state of the art equipment furnished by the US and whose personnel have been trained by the US.

But a previous poster is right. It might die in the Oval Office.

As I type this, there was just an item on FNC, with commentary by Judge Napolitano, indicating that the bill has not yet passed the Senate contra the article in the OP. That’s confusing, because all the news reports that came up when I googled the item indicated that it did pass. I think that they (this morning’s commentators) were confused.

Anyroad, the bill did pass the Senate on a unanimous voice vote (the two sponsors are from the two extremes of the political spectrum), and there is massive support in the House, which is where the bill is headed next. Judge Napolitano believes that there is enough support to override a veto, so my prediction that the bill would die in the Oval Office might turn out to be wrong.

May we live in interesting times.

The major concern is that this would lead to U.S. officials’ being sued in Saudi courts. However, that has not happened after the passage of the previous two bills of this type; in neither Syrian nor Iranian courts are U.S. officials being sued.

Why is this even a thing? What force of law does an American lawsuit have in Saudi Arabia? :confused:

A lawyer could explain it better that I could, but, for example, if an American won a lawsuit against a Saudi, if that Saudi had any assets here in the U.S. (and many of the upper class do), those assets could be seized to pay off the award.

So it’d be a red light for any potential defendant to move their assets.

Ya think? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.