Senate Votes To Privatize Its Failing Restaurants

tinyurl.com/4w3t5r

Senate Votes To Privatize Its Failing Restaurants

Year after year, decade upon decade, the U.S. Senate’s network of restaurants has lost staggering amounts of money – more than $18 million since 1993, according to one report, and an estimated $2 million this year alone, according to another.

The financial condition of the world’s most exclusive dining hall and its affiliated Capitol Hill restaurants, cafeterias and coffee shops has become so dire that, without a $250,000 subsidy from taxpayers, the Senate won’t make payroll next month.

The embarrassment of the Senate food service struggling like some neighborhood pizza joint has quietly sparked change previously unthinkable for Democrats. Last week, in a late-night voice vote, the Senate agreed to privatize the operation of its food service, a decision that would, for the first time, put it under the control of a contractor and all but guarantee lower wages and benefits for the outfit’s new hires.
The House is expected to agree – its food service operation has been in private hands since the 1980s – and President Bush’s signature on the bill would officially end a seven-month Democratic feud and more than four decades of taxpayer bailouts.

This is just too funny. Odd that the House (Democratic at the time) saw the light ages ago.

Funny, with the republicans in control of both houses, and the White House, they couldn’t even get that done. They talk a good game, but they can’t perform on the court.

Not that I’m upset with the democrats for having a fit of fiscal responsibility; I’m just wondering when people are going to realize that there isn’t a nickel’s worth of difference between the two parties.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairman of the Rules and Administrations Committee, which oversees the operation of the Senate, said she had no choice.

“It’s cratering,” she said of the restaurant system.“Candidly, I don’t think the taxpayers should be subsidizing something that doesn’t need to be. There are parts of government that can be run like a business and should be run like businesses.”

The privately run House cafeteria(Rayburn) does a fine job as many people who have been on the March for Life can attest to.

Now if we could just get them to tackle some real spending cuts not a tiny one, 18 million in 15 years, and then getting a press article out of it ?:rolleyes:

Well, maybe the House and the Senate should also contract out … healthcare … energy … education … social security.

They have conceded that the government really can’t run anything … even something as small and as simple as a cafeteria. Thousands of restaurants… hundreds of thousands… eating places of all sizes are run nicely by the private sector … but Congress just couldn’t seem to master that.

This illustration needs to be presented on the front page of The New York Times … above the fold.

You know why this is happening? Because the restaurants and delis right outside of the Senate and House are 1000% tastier and have comperable prices. Granted, I LOVE the pudding mixture they serve in the Senate cafeteria, but that was about the only good food they had. My favorite restaurant outside of the Senate is LaLoma (about 4 blocks away) and you can get a huge meal for about $10.

Does this mean the menu won’t have to be “politically correct” any more?

I mean, the earth might shift if they started calling them “french fries” again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.