Senators signal Kavanaugh appears on solid ground to win confirmation

A number of key senators in both parties are sounding positive about Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court, a clear sign that President Donald Trump’s nominee stands a strong chance of winning a pivotal seat on the highest court in the land.

“Not so far,” Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, a North Dakota Democrat, told CNN Wednesday afternoon when asked if anything she’s heard so far would be considered disqualifying.

“No, I haven’t seen anything from that standpoint,” Sen. Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, said when asked if he’s heard anything that would lead him to vote no. “He’s handled himself very professionally.”

And Collins suggested she wasn’t concerned when asked Tuesday evening about Democratic complaints over the Trump administration’s decision to withhold more than 100,000 pages of documents from the Senate Judiciary Committee over claims of privilege.

“I don’t really understand their level of outrage when they had already made clear they were going to vote against any nominee that the President put forward,” Collins told CNN, echoing Republican criticism of their Democratic counterparts.

Other GOP senators are unlikely to defect, including some of the most persistent Trump critics, like Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake.

Asked if he would register his long-standing objections with Trump by opposing Kavanaugh, Flake said: “I don’t think who nominates him should be disqualifying. … Some people want me to become a liberal because I disagree with President Trump. I disagree with him mostly because I’m a conservative; conservatives believe in the rule of law.”

Sen. Doug Jones, the Democrat from Alabama who won his special election after Gorsuch was confirmed, was non-committal when asked about Kavanaugh on Wednesday.

“I’m still going through my process,” he told CNN.

Other Democrats voiced criticism at the process so far, including Manchin, who lashed out at both parties for their handling of this Supreme Court fight and other recent battles.

“Both sides have been deplorable in how they’ve handled themselves,” Manchin said. “That’s what makes people sick.”

Manchin also took a shot at Republicans for refusing to even meet with then-President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court choice, Merrick Garland – and at some of his Democratic colleagues for announcing their opposition to Kavanaugh before he was nominated.

“Anybody who announces how they’re going to vote before a President makes their appointment, there’s no commonsense or reasoning in that whatsoever,” Manchin said.

It is interesting that no one is responding to this Trump victory. Yet there is so much energy being put into Bob Woodward’s book.

Maybe because it’s just “business as usual.” The party that is in power muscles through the nominees they want. That’s not news.

Elections have consequences?

In this case that is exactly what has happened.

The outrage has been kind of strange to see. Kavanaugh would have been on any Republican President’s short list for SC. He’s about the least controversial nominee Trump could have sent up.

God bless the voters who saw the big picture!!!

New wrinkles today.

It’s a practice run for when Trump names the replacement for RBG’s seat.

That is a fine prayer. But I prefer:

O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who are in most need of Thy mercy.

There may not be enough popcorn on the planet for that epic show. But I’m stocking up…

These hearings always have - to my mind - a pro-forma quality to them. But I guess they serve some kind of purpose.

Not always. Remember Bork.

But I’m pretty sure Kavanaugh is going to be confirmed.

Hazily yes. But Kavanaugh seems un-Borkable.

Barring the discovery of some kind of smoking gun (which I have no reason to think exists), I’d bet the rent that you’re right.

So would this qualify as a Trump campaign promise kept?

What, that Booker is a petulant child who doesn’t understand his job, or how things work? The Senators have access, not everything needs to be public since it’s the Senators who vote.

I hope the Senate disciplines him to the full extent possible.

“Running for president is no excuse for violating the rules of the Senate or of the confidentiality of the documents we are privy too,”

I’d kinda like to see Trump nominate Garland for that one, just to see how it goes down.

Kavanaugh’s confirmation is a foregone conclusion

Kavanaugh seems certain to join the pinnacle of the American legal profession

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/06/marc-thiessen-helpless-democrats-cant-block-trumps-supreme-court-pick-and-its-all-their-fault.amp.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.