Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch

Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, federal officials said.

Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa.

According to a report, Scalia arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

m.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Senior-Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php

My prayers. A great tragedy.

RIP Scalia

Is it too early to start focusing on who will replace him?

The political ramifications of this are all bad.

If he’s replaced under Obama, it will be a pure moderate. The Senate won’t allow for an extreme liberal, and Obama won’t allow for an extreme conservative.

Only way someone as conservative as Scalia is put there is if a Republican takes the White House AND keeps the Senate, while at the same time the replacement process takes until 2017.

May the good Justice rest in peace.

I do agree with you. This has no upside on the political arena.

Rest In Peace. Married 55 years, nine children. His son, Father Paul Scalia, is a priest of the Diocese of Arlington.

:crossrc: Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord…

Our Father…

Hail Mary…

Glory be… :crossrc:

Is it too early to start focusing on who will replace him?

And in an election year, yet. Oy. That’ll be interesting. The story hasn’t hit the online news outlets. That’s strange. But google brings up the story you cited, _Abyssinia. I too wonder what the fallout will be.

As long as the Republicans are in control of both Houses, I would pray that the Republicans block every single nominee until 2017.

RIP…terrible timing.

Numerous people I’m following on Twitter (such as Sean Davis are saying the Senate Republucans should refuse to confirm any appointee until there is a new President. If the Republicans can do this, they have to make this stand!

I hope they can do this.

yahoo.com/news/u-supreme-court-justice-scalia-dead-san-antonio-220951983.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, 79, was found dead on Saturday in Texas, the San Antonio Express-News reported, citing a U.S. district court judge.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the report.

The country has lost a great legal mind.

And every single Republican needs to run to the polls in November.

I’ll politely disagree with you on that point.

Sicilian ancestry, 9 children, 35 grandchildren (Fox guest);

Rest in peace, a force for good.

Whoever the next President is, they will now be making at least one Supreme Court nomination. This issue should be in the first question in the South Carolina debate. I hope the issue of the nomination becomes a big issue in the Presidential campaign. It’s now even more important Republicans hold a majority in the Senate. This will probably be a Senate campaign issue for both Republicans and Democrats.

Keep in mind: A 4-4 tie from SCOTUS this spring will affirm any lower court ruling.

twitter.com/mattmackowiak/status/698631442994241536

So sad. He was one of the great jurists.

Requiescat in pace. :gopray:

My apology. Another topic has already been started.

Continue the discussion here…

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=999293

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.