Sense of humor in the Bible and beyond

Does anyone know if there is any written documentation that Jesus had a sense of humor? Did he laugh? What did he find funny?

A sense of humor seems to be such an integral piece of one’s personality. If Jesus was fully human, I would imaging he would have had a sense of humor. However, I can’t remember a time when it was ever discussed during my Catholic upbringing, or in any parts of the Bible. I think it is odd that there is no reference to it.

So my question is, do you know the answer? While I am interested in what folks think about this, I also would really like to know if there is any historical reference to Him laughing or enjoying a good joke.

Thanks!!!

In that Psalms - there is mention of God - laughing - at his enemies.
Psalm 37:13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
But the Book of Isaiah says that Jesus was a man well acquainted with sorrows - etc

I’m sure he did laugh. The Bible could only say so much about Jesus, but not everything about him was written down. So the answer is most likely yes.

I don’t think it’s at all a stretch to think that God has a sense of humour. He created the duck billed platypus and have you seen baby animals and humans? Endless giggles to be found.

8 Likes

I’m just working from basic principles.
Since we know Jesus is fully human but without sin, and that to have a sense of humour is part of human condition and that it is not sinful. My guess is that yes Jesus had a sense of humour.
As to whether God has a sense of humour I’m not sure to the answer of that.

1 Like

There are certainly parts of Scripture that are ironic to the point of humor.

Additionally, there are points where Christ speaks where I can certainly imagine a twinkle in His eye or a smile… the exchange with the woman with the ‘casting scraps to the dogs’ and the like…

If Jesus cried at the death of Lazarus, I would say it makes sense for Him to have laughed with His friends as well

3 Likes

I wouldn’t categorise this as humour. It’s more an insult which is in keeping with the male culture of the time. (As per John Pilch)

Nothing doctrinal in my statement. Just the wonderings of an ignorant layman :slight_smile:

Always found John 21:18 - 23 kind of humorous. Jesus tells Peter how he will die and Peter turns around and points to John who is following them and says well what about this guy and Jesus says mind your own business what’s it to you.

Also maybe He had a twinkle in His eye when Martha was complaining about doing all the work.

6 Likes

A few years ago at the parish social, I managed to keep a straight face while chiding a Martha griping at her sister Mary over not helping . . .

:rofl:

then we all had a good laugh.

hawk

1 Like

Great responses and insight from everyone who has posted. Thank you!

Jesus is Jewish; of course he has a sense of humor! :smiley:

5 Likes

I don’t think he could have been serious all the time, the “sinners” of his day kept inviting him to their dinners and over to their homes. If He were a stern faced stick in the mud I don’t think they would have wanted Him around.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that when Jesus referred to Herod as a fox He was laughing. "And He said to them, “Go and tell that fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I reach my goal.” Luke 13:32

It wouldn’t be a leap to say God has a sense of humor from your conclusion, considering Jesus is God.

1 Like

Plus, you know, the platypus.

1 Like

And Giraffes… or kangaroos

2 Likes

I wasn’t hesistating that perhaps God didn’t have a sense of humour. I was hesistating whether God transcends a sense of humour so much that there is no point talking about whether God has a sense of humour or not.

I left out the crowning glory of it: it was that day’s Gospel reading :rofl:

hawk

3 Likes

I’ve often found it funny when He got all those swine to go over the hill and into the sea, by casting the demons into them. It must have been fun until he had to pay the pig farmer for restitution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.