Separated Catholic

Two months ago my best friends wife walked out on him and his 16 year old son. They are Catholics. What would be my best advice to him and her? Thanks.:shrug:

To seek spiritual direction? :shrug:

“What God has united, let no man divide”, said Christ.

My best advice would be for you.

1. Pray for them.
  2. Continue to be his friend.
  3. Be there for him, listen.
  4. Lend a helping hand if he’s having a hard time coping.
  5. Let them know you are praying for them.
  6. Don’t meddle in their affairs; when he speaks about the issue, listen sympathetically but don’t “take sides” or badmouth his wife; when he is silent about the issue, don’t pry and don’t bring it up.
  7. And lastly, don’t spend any time alone with his wife, who will be vulnerable, lest you create an occasion of sin. In the presence of your own wife it’s probably OK if you’re both friends with her.

Good luck and God bless.

I would also recommend that your friend seek counsel from his priest and that he follow the Church in his future actions - particularly if he eventually thinks to consider remarriage.

I will be praying for his son in particular. It must be very difficult for a young man of that age.

Separation is difficult and your friend will be going through many conflicting emotions. Deciding what is the right course of action will not always be easy. This is where reliance of God becomes even more important than in the past.
God is close to the broken-hearted. Encourage him to maintain faith in God to see him through this difficult time.
As already said, simply being there to listen is the best thing you can do. Listen without judgment. As you listen, ask the Lord to guide your own responses.

On the legal side, he needs to see an attorney to make sure that his rights are protected. I’m not talking divorce or legal separation. However, he needs to get a custody and support order (what we in Texas call a SAPCR–Suit Affecting Parent-Child Relationship). Without such an order, she can come and take the son at any time. Also, she is responsible for helping him support the child.

Is a reconciliation possible?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.