Separation from the world

This is an interesting topic I believe for the church. Is it not so that God calls is to be separate from the world and unspotted? Since this is true then why is it that Catholics and Protestants for this regard interact with the world? Whether it be politics, culture, or ideas?

No, I think that this is not the case. We are to be in the world, but not of the world (cf John 15:19, 17:15-18; 1 John 4:4-6).

Since this is true then why is it that Catholics and Protestants for this regard interact with the world? Whether it be politics, culture, or ideas?

Because we’re called to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world. :wink:

:thumbsup:

My thoughts EXACTLY!

About a week ago, there was another thread in which the OP seemed to be saying we should not participate in society because it is corrupt. I wonder, in that case, are we supposed to drop out, quit our jobs, take vows of poverty, grow our own food, and live as hermits or in a religious commune?

I don’t agree with that at all. If you don’t mind, I’ll just rehash parts of two of my previous post on the subject:
Many times, and in many ways, Jesus taught how we can participate in society – not only that, but how we can make things better here on earth: caring for the needy, caring for children, forgiving one another seventy times seven times, loving your enemy, not serving mammon, and more. The good news of the Gospel concerns both earthly and eternal life.

Jesus instructs and commands us to work in the world and in society, associating with sinners, as he did, doing what we can to make the world more peaceful and more virtuous.

[INDENT]“You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.”[/INDENT]
and this:
Our society is a mixture of good and bad… Look for the good in our society, work on the side of good, be a good influence in our society (shining a light in the darkness). If you participate in that way in our good-and-bad society, you are not consenting to the evil, you are not promoting evil, and you do not share culpability for the evils of society. For all you know, you might save another soul (1 Corinthians 7:16).

If any of you truely believe that Scripture tells you to abjure modern society, I suggest that you search out a Carmalite Convent if you are female and if you are a male, a Cistercian Monestary. And, for those men who really need to get away from it all, there is always the Monestary at Mount Athos, Greece.
If you are not up to any of these, stop grumbling and just lead as good a life as you possibly can. Just because others around you are doing something doesn’t mean you have to participate. How often did your mother tell you “If someone told you to jump off a roof or leap in front of a moving bus you don’t have to do it”?
You can do more to change society by quietly setting a good example than all the griping in the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.