Separation of Sin and Person

I was recently speaking to someone about church doctrine on homosexuality and how the church condones homosexual acts but not the individual and thus separating the sin from the individual.

Then I was asked how that principle applied to murders because we lock them up for committing murder and such.

Would someone be able to help sort out the confusion that is going on in my head at the moment as I am lost for words on how to explain the separation of person and sin.

All the help is greatly appreciated.

[quote="Marchelli, post:1, topic:344721"]
I was recently speaking to someone about church doctrine on homosexuality and *how the church condones homosexual acts but not the individual and thus separating the sin from the individual.

Then I was asked how that principle applied to murders because we lock them up for committing murder and such.

Would someone be able to help sort out the confusion that is going on in my head at the moment as I am lost for words on how to explain the separation of person and sin.

All the help is greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

I think you meant to say that the Church does NOT condone homosexual acts.

As to the difference with murder is that we lock people who have murdered for everyone else's protection. Actually, the Church doesn't lock them up, the police do! :)

We believe, even locked up, that we can forgive the person for this sin. However, you can forgive someone for murder, but it doesn't mean you would let the person back out on the street!

It is like with Pope John Paul II. He forgave the person who tried to kill him, but it didn't mean he brought him back to the Vatican.

With homosexuality, the Church doesn't condone it. As with any other sin, we are to hate the sin but love the sinner.

I think you meant the Church “condemns” homosexual acts - not condones, right?

Yes, murders get locked up for both punishment and reformation, but we still love them as people! We are encouraged to visit those in prison as a corporal work of mercy to bring them hope and encouragement. However, we do not approve of or condone their sin or murder.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.