Sept. 15 - Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

How wisely the Church has linked yesterday’s Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross with today’s Memorial in honor of Our Lady of Sorrows, including “Stabat Mater”:

At the cross her station keeping,
Stood the mournful Mother weeping,
Close to Jesus to the last.

Through her heart, his sorrow sharing,
All his bitter anguish bearing,
Now at length the sword had passed.

Oh, how sad and sore distressed
Was that Mother highly blessed
Of the sole begotten One!

Christ above in torment hangs,
She beneath beholds the pangs
Of her dying, glorious Son.

Is there one who would not weep,
'Whelmed in miseries so deep,
Christ’s dear Mother to behold?

Can the human heart refrain
From partaking in her pain,
In that mother’s pain untold?

Bruised, derided, cursed, defiled,
She beheld her tender Child,
All with bloody scourges rent.

For the sins of his own nation
Saw him hang in desolation
Till his spirit forth he sent.

O sweet Mother! font of love,
Touch my spirit from above,
Make my heart with yours accord.

Make me feel as you have felt;
Make my soul to glow and melt
With the love of Christ, my Lord.

Holy Mother, pierce me through,
In my heart each wound renew
Of my Savior crucified.

Let me share with you his pain,
Who for all our sins was slain,
Who for me in torments died.

Let me mingle tears with you,
Mourning him who mourned for me,
All the days that I may live.

By the cross with you to stay,
There with you to weep and pray,
Is all I ask of you to give.

Virgin of all virgins blest!
Listen to my fond request:
Let me share your grief divine.

Let me to my latest breath,
In my body bear the death
Of that dying Son of yours.

Wounded with his every wound,
Steep my soul till it has swooned
In his very Blood away.

Be to me, O Virgin, nigh,
Lest in flames I burn and die,
In his awful judgment day.

Christ, when you shall call me hence,
Be your Mother my defense,
Be your cross my victory.

While my body here decays,
May my soul your goodness praise,
Safe in heaven eternally.
Amen. (Alleluia)

Let us “Behold” the Mother given to us by Jesus, from His Cross!

Fr. Chad Ripperger gave an EXCELLENT two part conference on the Sorrows of our Lady. It was amazing. You should definitely check them out here

(I can’t link to the actual audio file, becuase it says on the website not to do that. Just scroll down and try looking for a link that says something about Our Lady’s Sorrows pt. 1 pt.2)

It is also my late husband’s birthday. I used to think it was kind of sad he was born on a “sorrowful” day, but now he is deceased it fits for me too well unfortunately.
I hope he is at least happy where he is. I’m not happy obviously but I try to offer my grief and upset to Christ to help souls.

Yes, and it has an interesting history too.

1. The Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Friday before Palm Sunday, using Stabat Mater)
    1727 Entire Latin Church

2. The Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary (duplicate)
    1668 Servites, for the third Sunday in September
    1814 General Roman Calendar
    1913 Moved to September 15

3. Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows
    1969 removed 1st (Friday before Palm Sunday) continued 2nd (September 15).

4. Byzantine
    February 2 (Meeting of the Lord) celebrates the wonder-working icon of the Theotokos (Our Lady who softens evil hearts). This icon is of Our Lady with Seven Swords through her immaculate heart. Luke 2:34 “Then Simeon blessed them and said to his mother Mary, “This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed 35 so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed—and a sword will pierce your own soul too.””

Offering up prayers for you today, Bear.

Dear Tis_Bearself,

Thanks for your reply and for sharing your heartfelt thoughts on this day. I can only “imagine” what it must be like to have one’s husband die, and to be left on earth without him. A friend of mine went through this recently and I know that God gave her great graces to endure the unexpected accident that caused his death. I am sure God is giving you grace as well — your willingness to accept and to offer your grief and upset to help souls, is indeed a great grace.

In another thread, “Invoke Mary’s Holy Name” I gave Ryan a link to an article by the late Fr. John Hardon (whose cause for canonization has been introduced) written “Purgatory”. It is a lengthy articlle but I found it very helpful. I mention it because Fr. Hardon Quotes from St. Catherine of Genoa words that gave me great comfort:

…Parallel with their sufferings, the souls also experience intense spiritual joy. Among the mystics, St. Catherine of Genoa wrote, “It seems to me there is no joy comparable to that of the pure souls in purgatory, except the joy of heavenly beatitude.” There are many reasons for this happiness. They are absolutely sure of their salvation. They have faith, hope and great charity. They know themselves to be in divine friendship, confirmed in grace and no longer able to offend God…(Full article is HERE)

Hopefully, the words of St. Catherine of Genoa may give your heart some spark of joy. Mary, Mother of Sorrows and Cause of our Joy, pray for us.

Dear Vico,

Thanks for the interesting History. I used to have a calendar with a Feast or Memorial for Our Lady on every day of the year. I still have a book which gives similar information.

It continues to be beautiful to me that Mary is loved and comforted by her faithful children in heaven and on earth, as God truly wills it. I pray for all those who have yet to discover, by God’s Grace, what a gift Mary is for us – given to us by Jesus Himself on Calvary, with those precious words to John: “Behold your Mother!”

[quote=“MariaChristi, post:6, topic:509982”]
Mary, Mother of Sorrows and Cause of our Joy, pray for us.
[/quote]Mary,

Mother of Sorrows and Cause of our Joy, pray for us.

Peace

The world, looking on, sees that devout persons fast, watch and pray, endure injury patiently, minister to the sick and poor, restrain their temper, check and subdue their passions, deny themselves in all sensual indulgence, and do many other things which in themselves are hard and difficult. But the world sees nothing of that inward, heartfelt devotion which makes all these actions pleasant and easy.

Saint Francis DeSales

Dear hazcompat,

Thanks as always for your replies.

You did not cite from which of St. Francis de Sales’ works, his words came. I read his “Treatise on the Love of God” and his “Introduction to a Devout Life” – was it from one of those or in one of his letters perhaps? St. Francis speaks the beautiful truth of God that I have also found in the writing of St. Louis de Montfort. In fact, today I was reading from St. Louis De Montfort’s “Treatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”, Chapter 7, paragraph # 257, in which he speaks of:

… sanctifying interior practices for those souls who feel called by the Holy Spirit to a high degree of perfection. They may be expressed in four words, doing everything through Mary, with Mary, in Mary, and for Mary, in order to do it more perfectly through Jesus, with Jesus, in Jesus, and for Jesus.

In paragraphs #258 - #265, St. Louis explained these four words “through, with, in and for” in more detail, but I believe all the saints by God’s Grace, learned the necessity of the Interior Life which overflows into the doing of God’s Will in everything – as Jesus and Mary lived and show us in the Gospel.

Our exterior actions must be done in Divine Charity if they are to be acceptable to God. We can be so deceived by our own self-love that we begin to do what self-love desires ignoring what the Holy Spirit in His “still small voice” urges us to hear in God’s Revelation of Truth. Like the Pharisees whom Jesus told they had no room for His Word because they sought the praises of men.

Mary pondered all in her heart. She learned from Jesus and thus is proclaimed Mother and Model for the Church. By God’s Grace may we learn as Mary and all the saints have learned from Jesus, to take His Yoke upon us and learn from Him to be Meek and Humble of Heart. Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us. Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

I became intrigued awhile back with the Servite Rosary of the Sorrowful Mother. I can attest to it being a wonderful meditation, very very helpful in all our needs. For anyone looking to get closer to Mary (and thus, of course, to her Son) I recommend it. It is seven sets of seven Hail Marys, meditating on the Seven Sorrows.

Introduction to the Devout Life
by
St. Francis of Sales

Peace

CHAPTER II. The Nature and Excellence of Devotion.

Paragraph 2.

Peace

Thanks, dear hazcompat,

“Introduction to the Devout Life” was the first of St. Francis de Sales’ books that I read, and was blessed by it – as I am sure you and many others also have been blessed. Ah, the wisdom of the saints!

Yes, thanks again!

Thanks, Limoncello, for your reply.

I became interested in the Servite Rosary of the Sorrowful Mother after reading about the apparition of Our Lady of Kibeho. It is a beautiful prayer. For those unfamiliar with it, you many be interested in reading more HERE

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.