Sequence question.

I know a “sequence” is used on Easter? and Pentecost. Any other time? Where can I go to learn about these and how they are done properly and when. Do you know of reading material available to instruct myself about this? Thanks.

There’s an optional sequence for Corpus Christi that may be sung/said but is not required. Here’s some information about them:

[LIST]
*]They are to be done after the epistle and before the alleluia.
*]The people should be sitting.
*]It may not be replaced by a hymn or paraphrase of the actual text
*]There is traditional chant melodies for them that are easily adaptable into english, but you are not required to use that melody in either language (although since the melody is very wedded to the text, it’s nice when you can)
[/LIST]

Assuming you are talking about the current form of the Mass, and not the pre-Vatican II Latin Mass, there are four sequences:
[LIST]
*]Victimae Paschali Laudes, which is mandatory on Easter Sunday (but not used on the Easter Vigil) and optional throughout the remainder of the Octave of Easter;

*]Veni Sancte Spiritus, which is mandatory on Pentecost Sunday (but not used on the Vigil of Pentecost);

*]Lauda Sion, which is optional on Corpus Christi Sunday; and

*]Stabat Mater, which is optional on the memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows, September 15 (this coming Saturday).
[/LIST]
The sequences, incidentally, are found in the Lectionary, not, as many people would assume, in the Missal.

Yes the current firm of the Mass and thank you for the list. Now using the list I’ll look through the music book I have for the accompaniment. Thank you VERY much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.