Seraphim Angels, Purgatory Heating Elements and Isaiah 6:6 - 6:67

I’ve been meaning to ask if anyone found the scripture in Isaiah resembling the effects of Purgatory? It seems a small coal in just a moment’s touch to the lips removed the entirety of sin and guilt with it. Isn’t that what most imagine? Is it related? I think it’s too close not to think about.

Cleansing by fire is a way to make a new man, just as being poured in a crucible and refined. This is the goal of Purgatory.

Zechariah 13:9 And I will put this third into the fire, and refine them as one refines silver, and test them as gold is tested. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are my people’; and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’”

1 Peter 1:7 So that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ

1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.

1 Peter 1:6-7 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 3:12 “Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— the work of each builder will become visible, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each has done. If what has been built on the foundation survives, the builder will receive a reward. If the work is burned, the builder will suffer loss; the builder will be saved, but only as through fire.”

Hi!

…there are two things that must be taken in consideration:

1. The Vision is of Heaven, things work differently in God’s Presence, and
  2. There’s a direct purpose for the event; Isaiah is being summon to God’s Presence and he fears he will be stricken down so he is instantly purified.

Though I do see a type of Purgatory since it is God’s Action that removes/cleanses man from sin… this burning/purification takes place in order to elevate man past his wretched state and onto God’s Presence!

Maran atha!

Angel

In the year that King Uzzi′ah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and his train filled the temple. 2 Above him stood the seraphim; each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one called to another and said:

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory.”

4 And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. 5 And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!”

6 Then flew one of the seraphim to me, having in his hand a burning coal which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 And he touched my mouth, and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin forgiven.”

Isiah 6 RSVCE.

The exact quote you are looking for.

“The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned…The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1031)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.