Serious Question re: thanking God/ God's responsibility in world

Hi Everyone,

Let me first just state that I am Catholic, and am here to Reaffirm my faith after being lost for several years in sin.

My question is this… People often thank God for the good things they have in life, it may be their career, personal life, riches, success, health, anything really…but people often thank God for their fortune as if it’s God’s doing.

Well, not that I have a problem with that…but if God is responsible for the good things that come to some, by the same logic wouldn’t it be correct to state that God is also responsible for the negative things in our world- hunger in poor nations, a bad health diagnosis, or anything else?

It just doesnt seem to be correct logic to give responsibility to God for the good things in life, but also give Him a ‘free pass’ for the bad things.

Again, I am not mad at God for anything wrong in my life, I am not looking for a reason to blame Him…I’m merely coming from a logic perspective and would like the right answer to reaffirm my faith and make it stronger.

Thanks for your help!

Eric

A very serious answer:

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away

BLESSED BE THE LORD!

Just a small thought on this…
By giving us our talents and abilities, God indirectly gives us the things we have…but we also share in the getting of them by our using the gifts of smarts or ability He has given us. So, He may not have directly given us things but deserves our thanks for indirectly giving us the talents to get those things…which we need to use responsibly.
For the things that seem not good, He also gave the abilities and talents to those people but they may not have used them to their benefit so yes, He does get a pass in that regard.
As for a bad diagnosis or something like that, maybe it is actually a good thing and we just don’t recognize it as such…my example is perfect…many years ago I was living a less than holy life. I got in a bad accident that should have killed me…instead, it woke me up and I have since been trying to live for Him more and more. On the surface my accident seemed like a horrible thing, but it probably saved me from an eternity in hell.

Hi Eric, First, let me say welcome back home and welcome to the forums.

To address your questions you need to understand what exactly people are doing when they pray. When you “thank God” you are communicating with Him. Why do you pray? Doesn’t God already know your every thought? I mean, if I’m thanking God, but doesn’t He already know I’m thankful? Why bother? I’m certainly not telling Him something He doesn’t already know. It’s not helping Him, it’s helping me. Why does praying help the person? It draws you closer to God. God doesn’t need your prayers, you do.

What exactly is a “good” thing, and what exactly is a “bad” thing in this world? If I’m diagnosed with terminal cancer is that good or bad? If my goal is to do Gods will it’s neither good nor bad, it’s really not important because it only affects my earthly life. I can actually offer my sufferings up to God and accept His will.
God offers every person all the grace they need everyday. However everyday people refuse to accept His grace.
When something goes wrong we can’t blame Him, He offered His grace, we refuse. Remember what we want in this world is not what He wants. Scripture tells us blessed are the persecuted. How blessed do you feel when something bad happens to you? Probably not very, but you should,if you offer up your suffering to God. Takes your sufferings and puts them in Gods hands. You can rejoice when you have earthly sufferings. Read Mathew chapter 5, it may help.

[quote=www.drbo.org] Matthew 5, 1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain, and when he was set down, his disciples came unto him. 2 And opening his mouth, he taught them, saying: 3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: (3 “The poor in spirit”… That is, the humble; and they whose spirit is not set upon riches.)for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land. 5 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 6 Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. 7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called children of God. 10 Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: 12 Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. 13 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. 14 You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house. 16 So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
[/quote]

I thank God everyday, not for all I consider “good” things in my life, but also for what I consider “bad”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.