Serious Question: When Christ Returns, Will the Papacy Continue to Exist?

1 Corinthians 11
25In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

The Eucharist is a foretaste of the heavenly banquet, the wedding supper of the Lamb. Once we get the full thing, the partial sign will pass away. (Even though the partial sign is an awesome and real Presence of Jesus. Being face to face with Him in Jesus’ full glory, and our own, is more than what we can possibly experience here.)

Similarly, the papacy and the bishoprics are a foretaste of what Jesus tells the Apostles: that they will be sitting on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

(Unless you get to be one of the bad popes or bishops, in which case you can look forward to a millstone around your neck and getting tossed into the sea being better than what will happen to you.)

In all honesty when Christ comes again it really won’t matter if the Eucharist ends or not because He will come to perfect everything. My mind just automatically defaults to the Mass for example:

1. When Christ appeared on the road to Emmasus and broke bread I just vision it as communion.

2. When the apostles gathered at Pentecost I just imagine them holding Mass.

3. Before Christ ascended I just imagine him conducting Mass.

I know these things aren’t in the bible and I guess they come to me because the Mass is as close to Heaven as we can get on earth and it is where I am closest to Christ. So it comes naturally for me to associate these things with the Mass.

When Christ returns, the Last Judgment is at hand. Nobody is going to be thinking about anything else.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.