Serious Question

My wife and I met another Catholic couple from another town.
We were having conversation about the Pope and the Church.
Then this couple told us they are nudist. :eek: We were shocked to hear this. They aked us if we were interested in social nudisn or naturism they call it. I told them that I think it’s a sin for any Christian to get involved in this kind of stuff. Then the guy told us, God didn’t created our body evil and we are wrong to say that it is a sin to naked in front of others. They say this is family
type of thing.
They say Pope John Paul 2 wrote a book about the body and said that our body is good not evil and we should not be ashame of it.
My question is, what’s the Church true teaching on nudism or naturism? We’re have asked our Pastor about this and he said
as long as your intention of doing this is pure not to sin. Is he right?
Thanks and God blessings,
Melvin :confused:

[quote=maber43]My wife and I met another Catholic couple from another town.
Then this couple told us they are nudist. :eek: We were shocked to hear this. They aked us if we were interested in social nudisn or naturism they call it. I told them that I think it’s a sin for any Christian to get involved in this kind of stuff. Then the guy told us, God didn’t created our body evil and we are wrong to say that it is a sin to naked in front of others. They say this is family
type of thing.
They say Pope John Paul 2 wrote a book about the body and said that our body is good not evil and we should not be ashame of it.
My question is, what’s the Church true teaching on nudism or naturism? We’re have asked our Pastor about this and he said
[/quote]

CCC 364 talks about the body being good but it doesn’t say anything about nudity.

:eek: I think your priest must have forgotten a few things. Perhaps he needs to read up on the Virtues of Chastity and Modesty .

Chastity and Modesty

The virtue of modesty, in general, may be described as that virtue which prompts us to be decorous, proper, and reserved, in the way we dress, stand, walk, sit—in general in the way we behave exteriorly. This virtue of modesty bears a relation to other virtues besides that of chastity, especially to the virtue of humility. In a special manner, however, the virtue of modesty is particularly regarded as the guardian of chastity in thought, word, and action.
St. Thomas says that it is the virtue by which we rightly regulate our conduct in respect to those things that can lead to impure thoughts, desires, and actions, in ourselves and in others. He says that, while chastity deals with the regulation of difficult things, powerful passions and strong desires for pleasure, modesty deals with the regulation of easy things, the remote and proximate occasions and conditions that lead to unholy desires. Thus we see that modesty is a virtue allied to the virtue of temperance, or the general habit of self-restraint.
It is this virtue of modesty, in its relation to chastity, which prompted the Holy Father to address himself to the Bishops of the world, through the Sacred Congregation of the Council, and to remind them that “it is altogether imperative to admonish and exhort, in whatever ways seem most apt, people of all stations, but particularly youth, to avoid the dangers of this kind of vice which is so directly opposed and potentially so hazardous to Christian and civic virtue. ‘How beautiful then is modesty and what a gem among virtues it is!’ Therefore, let it not be offended or violated by the easy allurements and attractions of vices which arise from that manner of dressing and from other actions what we have mentioned above and which decent people can but lament.” Again, in his encyclical letter on Holy Virginity, our Holy Father writes about modesty: “Educators of the young would render a more valuable and useful service, if they would inculcate in youthful minds the precepts of Christian modesty, which is so important for the preservation of perfect chastity, and which is truly called the prudence of chastity. For, modesty foresees threatening danger, forbids us to expose ourselves to risks, demands the avoidance of those occasions which the imprudent do not shun. It does not like impure or loose talk, it shrinks from the slightest immodesty, it carefully avoids suspect familiarity with persons of the other sex. . . . He who possesses the treasure of Christian modesty abominates every sin of impurity and instantly flees whenever he is tempted by its seductions.”

I was just listening to Christopher West on Life on the Rock (Go to ewtn.com/rock/files/past1.asp ) and he answers this very question! His answer is at 54minutes into the broadcast if you want to listen yourself…
His answer is this.
We cover the body in a fallen world not because it is bad, we cover the body to protect it from the degridation of the fallen world.

My addition to this is that it is an occasion of sin and we have to do our best to keep out of situations that lead us to sin. Why tempt yourself!

That is what I was afraid of, temptation. So, we’re not going to do this. I knew it’s a sin against purity. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit. We have to be holy and pure, this is true modesty.
Sad to say that’s not the case during the summer. Many people wearing short shorts and tight jeans and questionable tops. I remember back in July of this year, a young girl, around 11 or 12, looks like she was wearing underwear. :eek: Good grief! Wake up Bishops and priests! :mad:

[quote=maber43] We’re have asked our Pastor about this and he said

[/quote]

You are joking, right?

What good will come of such situations?

Then intentions by themself determine what is sin or not? I think your priest needs to dust off his copy of the CCC and read the sections under “modesty”. This topic has been extensively discussed in a previous thread: Are Nudists Bad?

Let’s see, a bunch of people, male and female, get together nude. Yet they have no intention of looking at one another sexually in any way. The thought of seeing so-and-so nude never crosses thier mind. They’re into it purely for the freedom the nudity provides them. They simply like the feel of not having clothes on thier body. They like it so much they actuall organized and made this into a community and a social gathering.

Yeahhhhhh riiiiight!

[quote=fix]You are joking, right?

What good will come of such situations?
[/quote]

Exactly my feelings. Although things may not be sin or bad in themselves, why should they be done if they don’t lead to good?–nicolo

[quote=Mijoy2]Let’s see, a bunch of people, male and female, get together nude. Yet they have no intention of looking at one another sexually in any way. The thought of seeing so-and-so nude never crosses thier mind. They’re into it purely for the freedom the nudity provides them. They simply like the feel of not having clothes on thier body. They like it so much they actuall organized and made this into a community and a social gathering.

Yeahhhhhh riiiiight!
[/quote]

It is called self deception.

Hey, I’ve discovered that the prophet Isaiah did what God told him to do. If you have your Bible, read Isaiah 20. Remember God told him to do this. If that was me, I’d tell Him to get someone else to do it.

[quote=thistle]CCC 364 talks about the body being good but it doesn’t say anything about nudity.
[/quote]

:smiley:

When Adam and Eve sined, they realized that they were naked, so they covered themselves. :bigyikes:

Hmmmmm… was this put in the book of Genesis just to spice things up or was God trying to tell us something?:hmmm:

I think the latter.:yup:

[quote=maber43]My wife and I met another Catholic couple from another town.
type of thing.
[/quote]

The book is the theology of the body writings or lectures from JP2. He talks about the dignity in marriage as a vocation and teaches us to love our (spouses). He never talked about little nudist colony swinger parties. That type of behavior is the exact opposite of everything JP2 instructed us on.

-D

has anyone actually read anything from Love and Responsibility? here is a link to the excerpts on nudism/naturism. and how many of you have actually done any research into the beliefs themselves? because if you think that seeing a bunch of people naked and say “yeah right, they are ALL lusting and want to be lusted after!” then you might as well say the same thing about going to the beach! i am not a nudist but have been researching it, and i really don’t think women and men at a nudist resort are doing sensual poses, and if someone did lust or get excited it would be more humiliating than if someone got excited at the beach or the mall. also, i checked the CCC and looked up modesty, and all it said is that you should keep the body covered to prevent sin, so if everyone agrees and tries not to sin then there is no sin in nudism. and according to Love and Responsibility, if you went to a resort not to lust after people or anything of the sort you would not be sinning! and one final note, think of it this way: God made all of us, our bodies, and our minds… so they are not inherently evil, it is man that perverts the body, and if YOU don’t pervert the body then it isn’t a sin.

Dear friend

It’s all in the INTENT and knowing what is and what is not an occassion of sin for you personally.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

We have asked our Pastor about this and he said

Hello all,
My opinion is that his Priest is correct. I asked my own the same question and received the same answer. That is because the virtue of modesty is designed to keep others from sinning. If you dress modestly, others shouldn’t be tempted. However, that doesn’t really work all the time. People can become aroused by both a woman in a full length lab coat with her hair up just the same as a woman on the beach scantilly clad. So, modesty depends on the viewer’s purity. Chastity is the keeping of one’s marriage gift for their significant other until marriage and not sinning by giving into lustful thoughts and such. A controllable act of the will either way. Purity is the virture by which one keeps their mind, actions, and heart centered on God and His will. One can do that whether they are clothed or not. Just because you say a decade of the rosary in the shower doesn’t mean you are sinning. Now as to nude family friendly resorts. The people at resorts like these make mutual pledges to keep themselves pure while there. And those who break the rules are expelled. Certainly, there are people who are not pure and that is why there are also adult-only resorts. They want to keep their children safe from the evil in this world just as much as we Catholics do. Except, in raising their children, they teach them respect for the human person by example and showing them how pure people’s intentions can be. One must give their neighbor the benefit of the doubt; otherwise, ignorance will lead to bias and other dangerous side effects. As I end this, let me ask you . . . If a person goes to a Las Vegas buffet, do they have to be a glutton? Thus, if a person goes nude, do they have to lust? Just some, food for thought. This is your decision. It may not add to your life, but then again, I don’t think it will hurt it. Peace, GW

Maber, it is quite clear that your friends are misinformed. Our late Pope John Paul the Second’s Theology of the Body does not endorse nudism. Quite the opposite, it tells us that our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Your couple has said that God didn’t create our bodies evil; while this is true (that our body is not evil) we suffer with the effects of original sin; one such effect is the sin of LUST. In nudism, we are subject to make others sin. We are not bringing honour to our body we are bringing attention to it in the wrong way. Knowing that people’s eyes are sensitive we have a moral responsibility to dress in a manner that does not cause others to sin. It is not enough to simply state that your intention of doing this is pure…knowing that other people around you are more prone to lust when one is bringing attention to certain body parts.

Is it fair to say that I can kill my brother who is suffering from a disease on the grounds that I want to ease his pain??–although I INTEND well, the act is clearly a sin. It is not enough for anyone to state that nudism is correct on the grounds that the intention is pure. If you had teenage children would you allow them to walk around nude on the basis that you and your children’s intentions are “pure”? Would you allow your children to do this knowing that there are people who have wrong ideas with what the body is? Then, would God allow the same on the basis that the intention is “pure”? Thinnk about that.

Without respect for our bodies, modesty is non-existent.

Adam and Eve covered their loins because their will was no longer in charge of their sexual organs. Involuntary actions are embarrassing. In their bodies they saw the change of consciousness or awareness of each other. No longer pure gift of self, giving and recieving. After the fall they saw in their loins that they had become something to use for pleasure. The wall of shame had risen up and the garden was on the other side of it.

I write that because of the priests advise. He said if their intentions were pure it wouldn’t be a sin. Adam and Eve lost pure intentions and their bodies revealed this to them. Nudism or Naturism is sinfull behaviour.

There used to be a heretical nudie sect in the early Church days, called the “Adamites”. Some research into them might provide you with some Patristic condemnations of nudism…

[quote=GWofVA]Hello all,
My opinion is that his Priest is correct. I asked my own the same question and received the same answer. That is because the virtue of modesty is designed to keep others from sinning. If you dress modestly, others shouldn’t be tempted. However, that doesn’t really work all the time. People can become aroused by both a woman in a full length lab coat with her hair up just the same as a woman on the beach scantilly clad. So, modesty depends on the viewer’s purity. Chastity is the keeping of one’s marriage gift for their significant other until marriage and not sinning by giving into lustful thoughts and such. A controllable act of the will either way. Purity is the virture by which one keeps their mind, actions, and heart centered on God and His will. One can do that whether they are clothed or not. Just because you say a decade of the rosary in the shower doesn’t mean you are sinning. Now as to nude family friendly resorts. The people at resorts like these make mutual pledges to keep themselves pure while there. And those who break the rules are expelled. Certainly, there are people who are not pure and that is why there are also adult-only resorts. They want to keep their children safe from the evil in this world just as much as we Catholics do. Except, in raising their children, they teach them respect for the human person by example and showing them how pure people’s intentions can be. One must give their neighbor the benefit of the doubt; otherwise, ignorance will lead to bias and other dangerous side effects. As I end this, let me ask you . . . If a person goes to a Las Vegas buffet, do they have to be a glutton? Thus, if a person goes nude, do they have to lust? Just some, food for thought. This is your decision. It may not add to your life, but then again, I don’t think it will hurt it. Peace, GW
[/quote]

Does anyone think Satan isn’t powerful. He can fill your mind that a sin is not a sin. Anyway, Romans 14:21 “…nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.”

We shouldn’t do anything that would cause another to sin. If they lust…it is our problem/fault as well if we didn’t do what we could to prevent it. To say, “that is their problem” has no Christian merit whatsoever.

Just my opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.