Sermons

Lately, I have been trying to find a different church because the one I would attend does not have much of a community spirit. The lasy 2 churches I went to had a nice atmosphere but for some reason, the sermons seem to have been pointless. It is as if the priest just repeated what was in the sermon and paraphrased it. I left thinking ‘what was the moral of the story’ and totally clueless as to what message God had in the story

Another priest seems to think that the sacraments do nothing unless we actively seek change in our life. I can see his point. I always thought action should be taken. For example, wishing I could loose weight is usless unless I scedhule time in the gym. So in a certain way, I see his point. But in another way… should we not accept God’s will?

For example, if someone has a disease that can not be cured, annointing the sick is a good idea. But at the end of the day, does God’s will not prevail? If God does not see it fit to heal the person, the person can receive the sacrament over and over again, but yet still have the disease?

So in a nutshell are sermon’s suppose to have a point?

Thanks

CM

To your last question.
YES.

It’s probably my biggest frustration with the Catholic Church in my normal church life that the preaching here is nothing compared to what I have experienced in Evangelical churches.
I have a hope that a new generation of priests who are zealous and understand the power of the Word will change that problem.

[quote="cmscms, post:1, topic:235614"]
Lately, I have been trying to find a different church because the one I would attend does not have much of a community spirit. The lasy 2 churches I went to had a nice atmosphere but for some reason, the sermons seem to have been pointless. It is as if the priest just repeated what was in the sermon and paraphrased it. I left thinking 'what was the moral of the story' and totally clueless as to what message God had in the story

Another priest seems to think that the sacraments do nothing unless we actively seek change in our life. I can see his point. I always thought action should be taken. For example, wishing I could loose weight is usless unless I scedhule time in the gym. So in a certain way, I see his point. But in another way.... should we not accept God's will?

For example, if someone has a disease that can not be cured, annointing the sick is a good idea. But at the end of the day, does God's will not prevail? If God does not see it fit to heal the person, the person can receive the sacrament over and over again, but yet still have the disease?

So in a nutshell are sermon's suppose to have a point?

Thanks

CM

[/quote]

I think the proper term is HOMILY, rather than SERMON.

Thank you for asking this question! I do not have an answer for you on what is going on in churches in your area, but I can share with you what I do during Mass that has brought me a lot of peace!

Have you ever heard a priest speak words that seemed to be just for you? Words that spoke directly to your heart? Isn’t that a wonderful feeling!

Well, just like songs on the radio some touch our hearts and some don’t. One song that is boring to you might touch someone else’s heart beyond measure.

When I hear a homily that is “boring” for me…I assume that the words are not meant for me but meant for someone else attending church at that very moment. I say a silent prayer to God such as “Dear God, these words are not touching me right now, but there must be someone else here that needs to hear these words right this very moment. I will pray for them, let me take my boredom and offer it up in prayer for the heart and the intentions of the person that you are trying to reach!”

So the answer to your question is yes, the Priests words are supposed to have a point but they might not seem to have have a point to you at that moment. Please try this, it has helped me a great deal to take a circumstance where I was focusing on myself and my needs and think and pray for others it has been wonderful.

Hope this helps a little, God bless!

Something that has helped me get more out of the homilies at times is, when I’m praying before Mass, I try to list in my head a few of the issues that are currently nagging at me. These don’t have to be major problems, just anything that comes to mind that’s causing me some degree of difficulty or stress at the time. I’ll then run through my regular prayers but keep those things in mind during the readings, Gospel and homily. I’ve found that when I do that, I’m much more apt to get one of those seemingly individualized messages. Sometimes it just helps me to cope with or ignore one of the smaller issues, but other times it’s something that really helps me through a major point of stress in my life.

[quote="Ponyguy, post:3, topic:235614"]
I think the proper term is HOMILY, rather than SERMON.

[/quote]

A distinction without a difference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.