"Servant of God"

James 1 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion:
Greetings.

James 1:1 is a very inspiration verse for me. (The word shown as “servant” is probably “slave.”)

The title “servant of God” is officially given to bishops; the Holy Father is called “the servant of the Servants of God.” “Servant of God” is also given officially given to people who are also on their way to canonization.

But, I think it is something for all of us to think of ourselves, not only as Catholics, but more operationally as “servants of God.” We should BE servants of God, and it is probably good for us to start referring to ourselves or remind ourselves to be a’“servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

I totally agree.

If we are the temples of the Holy Spirit then we should consider what a temple is used for, it actually is used in the service of God, and so we should be used in the same way. Therefore we can consider ourselves servants of God too I think.

There is of course a difference between the title ‘servant of God’ and the more common use of this description.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.