Servers

Are there “Permanent Deacons” compared to “Transitional Deacons”?

And what about altar servers?

Also, do the Eastern Churches have a Tabernacle where the Eucharist is kept? And if so, is the blood of Christ kept there also?

yes - permanent deacons are ususally married men.

Permanent deacons often serve in parish or other ministry as their time permits, since they typically have other full time employment. They may also act as parish administrators. With the passage of time, more and more deacons are serving in full-time ministries in parishes, hospitals, prisons, and in diocesan positions. Deacons often work directly in ministry to the marginalized inside and outside the church: the poor, the sick, the hungry, the imprisoned.

See: usccb.org/deacon/

Yes, yes, yes, and kind of.

Yes there are permanent deacons in ALL catholic ritual churches. In some, they are monastics. In some there are both monastics and married. A and some also have non-monastic celebate diocesan permanent deacons, but I can’t say for certain that All do.

ALL the ritual churches have transitional deacons. Prerequisite for a valid priestly ordination. Some permanent deacons later become priests. (Including a monastic permanent deacon of my acquaintance, who is now a priest of some 20 years, a Dominican, Rev. Fr. Anthony Patalano, OP. Roman church. )

Altar servers are allowed for under all of the churches in some form, however, in some churches it is restricted to the “lesser ordinations” of Acolyte, etc. In others, it’s a lay ministry. In a few, most of the “server” role is performed by ordained subdeacons.

As to the precious blood: in the byzantine use, the presancified gifts are stored dried, having been consecrated, commingled and then dried. So, yes, it’s both body and dried blood, with the accidents of bread and dried wine.

That’s what I was looking for. Any further comments would be appreciated.

In the Byzantine tradition, the Tabernacle usually is in the form of a little gilded church on the back and center of the Altar. They are generally not as big as in Latin churches.

Sometimes a hanging pyx in the shape of a dove is used.

That is cool, especially the hanging dove.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.