Servile work

I’m not sure what forum to ask this in, so I’ll try here. I have a garden and I very much enjoy working in it. While it does take work digging and planting, I do it for the relaxation and fun of it. Am I OK to garden on Sunday??

You will get many opinions here.

My opinion is that working in your garden is fine, any day of the week.
It is an enjoyable activity, albeit a dirty, strenuous one at times, but it also puts us in touch with the wonderful and beautiful things the God created for us.

If you are still unsure, I suggest you discuss this with your priest.

I think your gardening is fine, but just to be sure, let’s read from the Catechism:
2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body…
So you only need to examine whether your gardening hinders those aspects of the Lord’s Day. If not, then dig, plant, and prune with peace in your heart!

Servile work is ANY form of LABOR not done for enjoyment:) Or done out of necessity such as cooking.:slight_smile:

Yes, if that is what you like to do in your leisure time and a form of enjoyment, then yes its ok to garden on Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.