Servite Order

Can anyone give me more information on the Servite Order (their apostolic ministries, their daily prayer life, where they are located in the US, etc.)? I’ve looked at their websites, but they are not very helpful.

Did you see THIS? :slight_smile:

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:2, topic:251676"]
Did you see THIS? :)

[/quote]

I called the number on this website, and they sent me an Our Lady of Sorrows black scapular for free. They said it was blessed by a Servite Priest. Just fyi.

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:2, topic:251676"]
Did you see THIS? :)

[/quote]

Yes, I did. Like I said, I've looked at their websites, but they are not very helpful.

[quote="Mark1124, post:4, topic:251676"]
Yes, I did. Like I said, I've looked at their websites, but they are not very helpful.

[/quote]

Perhaps you could be more specific about what you would like to know, then?

Surely that video covers the basics of what ministries the Servites are involved in, and something of their ethos today. Are you asking whether they are present in a particular area? Or are you interested in more about the order's history, or its devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows?

[quote="TuAutem, post:5, topic:251676"]
Perhaps you could be more specific about what you would like to know, then?

Surely that video covers the basics of what ministries the Servites are involved in, and something of their ethos today. Are you asking whether they are present in a particular area? Or are you interested in more about the order's history, or its devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows?

[/quote]

No, the video states that the Servites are involved in many ministries, but mentions only serving the poor and parish ministry. I can easily find information about their history and devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows, but I cannot find answers to three very important questions: What ministries are they involved in (in particular, are they involved in teaching, leading retreats, or spiritual direction)? What is their daily prayer life like? Do they have any communities near Delaware?

Hi Mark, Maybe I can help a little bit. I'm a Secular Servite and my Community is at The National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother, Portland, OR. We have 6 Friars who live in the Monastery there. Our Secular Community has about a dozen members. The Servite Family includes many different vocations. Also, different Communities are engaged in different sorts of ministries. In our case, we are in care of the Sanctuary so many of our jobs involve the logistics of running a shrine! Some of our Friars are teachers, spiritual directors, retreat leaders, administratiors, etc. besides the duties of being a priest or brother on a daily basis, serving at Mass etc. One of them is advisor to my Community. These Friars have served in many different capacities, depending upon where in the world they have been assigned. There are different provinces, the USA, Australia, Africa, etc. Of course our home is in Italy. Here in the US, the main provincial offices are in Chicago. You didn't mention if you were interested as a secular or religious. Friars can be called to serve anywhere the Order sends them, even across provincial lines. All of the Friars I serve with have been all over the world. I'm a secular so I can remain here with this Community or if I choose to move elsewhere, join a nearby one. Our mother houses for the active sisters are in Wis and Neb. I do not know of a Community in Deleware. What are your interests? If you wish to inquire as to the Rule of Life for Friars, their Constitution, you should contact them. Here is the contact info: Servite Provincial Center
3121 West Jackson Blvd
Chicago, IL 60612-2729
servite.org/vocat.htm
email them at: [email]OSMVocations@aol.com[/email]
I can tell you all sorts of things about the Order of Secular Servants of Mary but technical questions about the Friar Order of Servants of Mary are different, as are the ones for the OSM sisters and nuns. Our Rules of Life are all based on the same original, just different nuances for the different types of Communities. We are a large and diverse Family, but one charism!
I can tell you that I'm very, very happy to be a Servite. We serve in any way we are called, that's a very diverse field! We aren't catagorized quite the same way as one thinks of some of the Orders, who tend to be one thing or the other i.e. just teachers or preachers or contemplatives. I know one Brother who is a nurse, a Priest who was a High School Principal, now the Sanctuary director, a Sister who is a teacher, one a nurse etc.

Peace be with you and I offer my prayers as you discern your vocation.
Sorry for the jumbled up post, thinking as I type. I hope I've given accurate info but please don't hold me to the letter of the law here, you really need to speak with them in Chicago.

In Service of Our Blessed Mother,
MaryTeresa, OSSM

BTW, Thank you for your interest in the Servite Order! We are one of the original mendicant orders, dating to 1233. Everyone hears of the Franciscans or Dominicans, etc. but the Servants of Mary have always been a bit smaller Order, yet we are world wide in many locations and very active! I guess we are just quiet! We have a diverse family with something for everyone IMHO. I knew this was the Order for me as the call was very distinct to serve Our Sorrowful Mother. We are the only Order founded by a group of men rather than an individual. The Seven Holy Founders feast day is Feb 17. Well, you probably know lots of things already, won't take your time.
Thank you again, I hope you are called to join our Fraternal Family.

[quote="MaryTeresa2, post:7, topic:251676"]
You didn't mention if you were interested as a secular or religious. Friars can be called to serve anywhere the Order sends them, even across provincial lines.

[/quote]

I am interested as a religious. I was hoping for a community near Delaware because that would simplify my discernment process-it's hard for me to get out to somewhere like Chicago or Boston to visit a community.

[quote="MaryTeresa2, post:8, topic:251676"]
BTW, Thank you for your interest in the Servite Order! We are one of the original mendicant orders, dating to 1233. Everyone hears of the Franciscans or Dominicans, etc. but the Servants of Mary have always been a bit smaller Order.

[/quote]

Yes, the Carmelites told me the same thing. It's unfortunate that the orders dedicated to Mary are the ones no one's heard of.

Hopefully if you communicate with them via email or phone, in Chicago, they maybe able to help in some way to get you the info you seek. Use that email address I posted, they will answer all you need. As for visiting, well if you find you really are called to the Servites, there will be a way. God won’t call you and let you down. I so love the Servite charism and the wonderful family/community life I’ve found that I would have gone to the ends of the earth to join them and serve Our Blessed Mother! I hadn’t a clue where I was going to find them when I began, the doors just kept falling open! May your path be made smooth and your way clear. (As with all calls from Heaven, the devil is going to try to trip you up all the more now… don’t let him! I stumbled on some rocks along the way but I prayed, dusted myself off and kept going, sure glad I did) Bless you and I’m praying for you!
:thumbsup:

Hi!
I am very interested of OSSM at this point. I have been considering OCDS and Opus Dei before, but while both are very Marian by nature, I feel more drawn to OSSM.

I have visited the websites servite.org and servidimaria.org/en

However, I did not get a clear picture of the Charism of the order. What would OSSM typical daily prayers be like? Could I still hang on to my small brown scapular as well, in so far as I 'meet the criteria' for wearing both that and the black scapular? How does one go about contacting the order, which is in another state? (Germany does not have any OSSM group.)

I would be very interested and thankful if anyone could just elaborate and tell me more about the order. Also, if someone could point me to any other website than the two I have already visited, I would be very happy of that. :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.